Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Out of Resources When Running Large Access DB over Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

resources

MIS
Dec 27, 2001
US
A few of my clients have been running Access 2000 queries against a large database located on the network. Their computers resources are plummeting into the low 20's or even running out of memory in the process. All of their machines are Windows 98 SE with a minimum 933 Processor and 128MB RAM. Does anyone know what might be the problem? Also, they are accessing the database via a shortcut pointing to a mapped drive.

What size have you set the swap file to? Has it auto-selected a size, and if so what happens if you increase it (say double?) -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

The swap file is being managed by windows. I will try increasing the size manually to see what happens.

I too have seen this problem before. Do a CLT- ALT- DEL and see what TSR's are running. Shut all down but systray and explorer. Try to access the data base again. If performance improves , run MSCONFIG and shut down some of your start up programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back