Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pc on & off at boot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrix

Technical User
Jun 11, 2000
US
HI all, I have just moved one of my older pc's to a bigger box. It is an Athlon 500, MSI mobo, 512mb ram, 30 gig hd, cdrw, etc. It was working fine in the old box. Now when I boot the power goes on for about 10 to 15 seconds and it shuts off. I moved everything but the power switches because I needed them in the old box. I only had a power switch (on-off) to put in it. Do I need all the other switches. Reset, hd actvity, etc? Could this be the problem? Thanx ahead for any help etrix

Should be able to run with the indicator cables loose. If ATX then requires a momentary contact power on switch, not an on/off. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanx edfair, I'll give it a try. etrix

Thanx edfair, you nailed it. I put in a momentary contact switch and it works fine. thanx etrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back