Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pc not responding during "System Idle Process"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMillionDollarMan

Programmer
Jun 10, 2002
US

hi.

Sometimes my Windows 2k pc doesn't respond even though there the performance statistics I have gathered tell me that only the system idle process is using 99% of the CPU. Memory usage is normal as well.

What the heck is it doing...?
Anyway I can find out?

I used C++ to gather the info. and checked it against TaskMgr for the same results.
Thanks
d

Are there any unusual or experimental device drivers running on your system? Kernel mode device drivers operate in the context of other processes, and normally don't have processes of their own. A poorly-written kernel mode device driver can eat up CPU time in an interrupt handler, for example, and this wouldn't show up on task manager if the interrupts were happening while the system idle process was running.

Something else to check -- could it be your hard drive? I once had a system with a faulty hard drive controller, that would fail some commands after a lengthy timeout. Since Windows accesses the hard drive all the time, even when the system is mostly idle, sometimes an access during idle would block the hard drive and the system would become extremely unresponsive.

I think the hard drive is the problem. The performance always seems to be stem back to the HDD.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back