Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Not Recognizing Burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cLFlaVA

Programmer
Jun 14, 2004
US
Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so please bare with me.

I have a cd burner (SONY CD-RW CRX300E) installed on a Windows XP Pro operating system. This problem happened to me once before with the burner that came with the computer, and I replaced it with the Sony. Now that it has happened again, I am hoping there is another alternative to replacement.

Everything worked fine, I had no problems burning with iTunes, Nero, etc. Then, I uninstalled one of my several burning applications (I believe it was FireBurner). Since then, the computer no longer recognizes this drive as a burning device. It can still read from the drive, but when I try to use iTunes or Nero to burn, it cannot find a burner.

Does anyone know where I can start trying to resolve this issue? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cory

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]clean slate...[/tt]
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.coryarthus.com/[/url]

Interesting. When I try to use the built-in burning capability, it tells me that it can't write because Windows is using the disc drive. Clearly, it's not.

I don't think restoring is an option, I don't really remember when I did this, but it was at least 1 month ago.

I guess my next step, then, is to try disconnecting the burner. I tried that once, but I didn't uninstall all burning software in the middle of the process.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]clean slate...[/tt]
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.coryarthus.com/[/url]

Actually, this is a fairly common issue with itunes. I think it was edfair who knows about it, but i will try from memory.
Somehow Itunes messes things up, maybe even with fireburner uninstall. Either way, its pretty common.
And it may not even be itunes this time around.
Best thing to do. Uninstall all your burning progs and re-install them and reboot each time you install a prog, and all should be well.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Well, i can only suggest you try google. I know i have read something about itunes causing these kinds of problems. I have remembered that part but i only remembered to NOT uninstall my itunes program.
try google.

Yep, I've run into that before. Try this:

1) Go to Start -> Run, type services.msc and click OK

2) Look for "Gear Security Service" in this list. If it shows the status of Started, then right-click it and choose Stop.

3) Once stopped, double-click it. Change the startup type from Automatic to Manual. Hit OK.

4) While you're here, also look for the "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service". Make sure it says Started and is set to Automatic.

5) Close out of the Services window and try Nero or XP's built-in burn option again.

Good luck!
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Just had a similar issue with a new burner/DVD rom--updated the firmware from the MFR site (go to support in the Sony site and look for updates for your model) and still had an issue with the burner in XP. I also have iTunes but was able to resolve the issue by going to the Software mfr site for the oem sw bundle (Nero 6 in my case) and checking the FAQs. It was a known issue with the OEM suite/XP OS and they offered a free upgrade for the OEM suite.

That fixed it. As far as access issues to the drive--I have found InCD to be the culprit most always. The latest greatest InCD (4) can be upgraded to resolve this issue. In 98SE the drive may not even appear as a burner until the OEM SW Suite is upgraded.

As always when installing/uninstalling SW/Drivers check Device Manager to see if the drive is enabled etc. In 98SE after simply swapping a burner the device needs to be enabled and included in the current Hardware Configuration.
At least it did for me. I have several computers and use a dual boot system so I can debug the older ones.

XP pro resolves nearly all installation issues without your input--but InCD can still hang up the drive in certain circumstances.

I reccommend checking in Device Manager to be sure the drive is enabled, etc.; then check for firmware updates for your burner model# and take the steps to update if needed; then check the Software MFR site for your SW bundle FAQs, upgrades, patches, known issues, workarounds.

Having just resolved a set of similar issues on XP and 98SE I am just passing along my route.

Good Luck and let's hear back about this issue.
CyberD

Is iTunes still installed? If so, then Gear Security Service should be listed, since this is the service that it uses for burning CD's.

If it's not installed and you're still having an issue, then it is likely a software conflict or registry issue.

You said you tried it again...was this from Nero?

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

It's also possible that you have a corrupted Nero install. Make sure you completely remove the program from Add/Remove Programs. Afterwards, reboot. Then when you come back up, run the clean tool(s) here:

Reboot again. Reinstall only Nero Burning ROM (not INCD) and see if you can write to a new DVD. Don't worry about enabling/disabling any services during this process.

~cdogg

I have had a similar problem before with Roxio. As it turned out, I was using an older version that I had bought when I was still using Windows 98SE. When I upgraded my OS to WinXP and re-installed Roxio, it did not recognize the burner. I ended up having to install some updates from Roxio in order to make it work. Is it possible that you had originally updated your product but inadvertently nuked the updates?

scrafts,
The problem you speak of is actually the "upper and lower" filters in the registry. They are entries that the software uses to set access to the drive. If something changes in Windows and the registry key is not updated to reflect that, they become corrupted. Uninstalling and reinstalling most of the time didn't help. You had to go in and manually delete those registry keys (or a tool on the website that you probably came across, would do it for you). Roxio was notorious for this problem.

Nero, on the other hand, did not rely on such settings. Although an update could help, a fresh install of the old version should still work (like it did out of the box).

~cdogg

I do know there is something to do with itunes as well, i havent searched for it, but i am pretty sure i have read about it a few times, where installing or uninstalling itunes messed up a few other burn progs, something like that.

garebo,
No you're not imagining things! That's what all the fuss has been about the Gear Security Service talked about above. Since it wasn't present, then that indicates iTunes was uninstalled.

~cdogg

Ok, thanks.
Still, in the back of my mind i recall reading something about when itunes is uninstalled, it messes up other prog settings or files, something like that, wish it wasnt so vague and i also wish i could remember more. I bet if you re-installed itunes and just left it there your problems might be solved.
Wish i could remember more, sorry. Only reason i even posted about it was i was hoping to jog someone else memory, someone not as old as me, lol. Actually, im only 53, its my darn meds, causes memory loss, attack women, steal computers, etc. Well, it does cause memory loss anyway,lol.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with that myself. Perhaps one of the earlier versions of iTunes? I've got the original release installed on mine, so perhaps if I get a chance, I'll try uninstalling it and see if Nero and Roxio still work.

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back