Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC microphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

vds

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2002
US
The microphone I have attached to the PC does not show any signs of picking up sound. I have tried all the tricks mentioned in the troubleshooting guides and various sites in the internet. Still, no response. Any ideas ?

Vds

Assuming the mike is suitable for use with a soundcard, can you check it out on another known good computer system? Does it have an internal battery? If yes, check voltage, and battery contacts inside the mike.

Microphones are not particularly easy to check out - I've used an oscilloscope in the past. You could try feeding a known good low level audio signal into the mike socket, but remember that the mike input is only mono - you should connect ONLY the channel that goes to the tip of the 3.5mm jack plug, not to the ring. This will prove that the soundcard's mike input works, but keep the input level very low.

Good luck!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Make sure the microphone's volume control is not muted.

Thanks for your responses and input. The PC microphone is working now.

Roger,
I tried what you have written and still had no response. I returned the mic to the store and picked another one and it worked like a charm.

Thanks again,
VDS

Glad it's sorted... Just as a point of interest, the usual PC type microphones are fairly sensitive devices, and don't take kindly to being banged about, dropped on the floor etc.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back