Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Makes A LOT of noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeleaumont

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
US
Hey all,

I'm just full of questions today. So anyways, I custom built my PC a few months ago and while I've been more than happy with it's performance, it tends to be awfully loud.

What I think is the CPU Cooling fan seems to make a lot of noise. Almost to the point where it sounds like it's going to take flight (loud reving noise).

Is this normal and if so, is there a QUIETER fan I can purchase that will make little or no noise? I have a home recording studio and this is starting to formulate into a problem here.

Thanks,
Don

"If you want to make a difference, you have to be different. That's the deal."
-Kevn Kinney

Usually they wait about a year before they get noisy.
Find a replacement ball-bearing equipped fan the same size and install it.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Many stock fans are loud to begin with and become louder over time because they are usually cheaply constructed.

I had one that started keeping me awake at night (my PC is next to my bed and runs 24/7). I ended up replacing the fan with one from Gigabyte that is so quiet I can't hear it with my ear up next to the case.

Let us know your MOBO and case models and we can suggest a replacement. Both models are important because some coolers like the Zalman CNPS7700 are so huge it won't fit all MOBO and case combinations.

ddeleaumont,

Yeah, but here is where questions get answers.

If your PC is close/within the confines of your recording stuido you might be interested in looking at these sites as they are dedicated to "Quiet" PC operation.

Also, as you posted about installing a fan you might be interested in what the case Mfg are doing to quiet things down while providing great cooling capacity. See this review and take it for what it is worth.

ANTEC P180 case

Pabst and Nexus are most probably the leaders in quiet fan performance.

Hope This Helps

rvnguy

"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

ddeleaumont
I've been following your other thread "adding a case fan" so both are interlinked.

I think at this point we really do need to know more about your PC.
Model/Type/number/motherboard/case/CPU fan type/graphics card type and cooling/power supply make model, anything else relating to possible noise production.

Typically the TWO major noise emiters are the CPU cooling fan and the power supply also some high end graphics cards can get noisey when they are used in 3D (under load)

If you are happy with "QUIET" low noise, thats easy! there are many heatsink/fan units with large low spinning fans that produce far less noise than stock OEM coolers ie: Arctic Cooler Copper Silent range for instance, aimed at cheap aftermarket users that want low noise.

Also "QUIET" Big Fan PSU's are available (single 120mm internal fan drawing air from the CPU area) thermally activated to spin only as fast as required.

Case fans are also available like the Vantec Stealth that only spin faster when they sense temperatures rising in the case.

SILENT!!! is a differant ball game! massive passively cooled power supplies, giant cooling towers with "heat pipe" technology and aftermaket passive coolers for graphics cards are all available but at a high price and not without considerable drawbacks.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Paparazzi,

Here's the details of my system:

Intel Genuine Socket 478 Cooling Fan up to 3.4 GHz (TC1-1026)

Seagate / 120GB / 7200 / 2MB / ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive (THD-1200AA P

Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory CL3 (ULT30215)

Intel D865GBFL Intel Socket 478 ATX Motherboard / AGP 8X/4X/1X / Audio / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA (I69-2021)

Just4PC 747 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Front USB and 425Watt Power Supply - Black (B452-1124)

Mad Dog Dominator / 52x24x52x CD-RW / Black / Nero Software / CD Burner (M199-1004)

Intel Celeron D 335 2.80Ghz / 256K Cache / 533 FSB / Socket 478 / Processor (CP2-CID-335 C)

Zonet 4 + 1 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card - Via Chipset (Z165-1062)

===============================

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. AGain, I'm just trying to make sure that I am taking good care of this system and I really am striving to have a QUIETER PC.

Thanks,
Don

-Kevn Kinney

Hey all,

Late breaking news on my LOUD PC! I pulled the side panel off of the PC adn all fo the sudden it just got as quiet as a mouse! I've never heard my PC make such little noise.

This leads to my next questions. Does this mean that the side case panel doesn't have enough ventilation? If not, what do you guys reccomend replacing it with?

Thanks,
Don

-Kevn Kinney

Congratulations! You have probably discovered one of the properties of PC cases (particulary those made from steel) called "resonance". Under exactly the right conditions the case or a side panel will begin to vibrate at a particular frequency. Once started, it will continue to vibrate and the vibrations tend to get stronger and seem almost self sustaining. If you disturb the vibration (like whacking the side of the case to make it shut up), the vibration stops.

If it continues to be a problem, various PC modding websites sell adhesive backed noise/vibration damping pads that can be installed inside the case.

Frank,

This DEFINITELY wasn't the problem.

When I removed the side panel, I could hear the CPU Cooling fan reving up like an airplane but as a few seconds went by, it quited down to nearly a whisper.

Again, I'm still wondering if replacing that fan all together would be a benefit to quieting down the noise. Leaving this panel can't be an option so again, I'm guessing to just follow the advice of replacing that fan as well as my power supply.

Thanks,
Don

PS.
Please keep the feedback coming if anyone has anything else to add :)

-Kevn Kinney

It looks like your BIOS has a fan speed control option (Under Advanced > Fan Control Configuration). I am guessing that with the side cover on, your case temperature rises enough that the CPU fan kicks into high speed. With the case open, the temp drops a little and the fan slows down.

According to the Just4PC website your case has no cooling fans (other than PSU), but has option to add a couple of 80mm fans. I would start there.

If that doesn't do it look into an othe CPU cooler. I am using this one which has a front panel speed control. My PC which runs 24/7 is right next to my bed and I don't hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back