Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Mag reviews AV Rescue CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
PC Magazine has reviewed nine Antivirus Rescue CDs. They also include links for those they reviewed.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

This article is more an identification that these things exist than a review. A typical comparison against a machine with a known number of "pathogens" for each one would have been valuable.

I'm waiting for the white paper entitled "Finding Employment in the Era of Occupational Irrelevancy

Yeah, I found the links to be the most important part, too, which is why I referenced them in my original post.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I won't say which, but I've tried two of those CDs and was VERY DISAPPOINTED. They did nothing to remove some very common malware.

Better bet is a bootable BartPE with Mcafee command line virus scanner installed.

That usually renders a system bootable again and sort of knocks the malware out enough for a full removal by something like MBAM, SuperAntispyware, GMER, ComboFix, etc.

The other benefit with booting into BartPE is that you can edit the registry remotely, do a manual system restore, run Chkdsk, replace missing/corrupt files, etc.

That's pretty much what Avast's BART disc does but used their software instead of McAfee. I would be interest in know which ones you used and what your results were. This IS the place for open discussion about such. :)

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Avira AntiVir Rescue System & AVG Rescue CD

It's been too long to remember exactly what happened with which one, but I recall saying "I'll never use that again".

Interestingly enough, I had problems with those same two. The problem I had with the AVG Rescue disk is it needed more memory than it said it did. It's supposed to work with 512 MB but when I tested it on a machine with 512 MB it wouldn't boot.

With the Avira, it would detect loads of viruses but not even attempt to clean them. I haven't tried the others, yet.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Did it tell you specifically that it wouldn't boot because of lack of memory.

Also, nobody should have ONLY 512MB RAM these days.

Did it tell you specifically that it wouldn't boot because of lack of memory.
Yes, it is a test PC that I use just for things like this.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back