Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC-Laptop Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesTalon

Technical User
Apr 22, 2003
US
I'm trying to find a way to succesfully network my Laptop (running Windows 98 SE) and my Desktop PC (running ME), using a parallel conenction. Does anyone know where I might find a How-To guide or something like it that will give me some help for it? (My laptop has an option somewhere for a parallel connection, PC doesn't from what I see)

Why waste the time and effort. You can buy a small 5 port hub now for around $15.

James - keep trying, its a fiddly bit of software - I have had similar problems to you every time I've tried to use it - usually works in the end - but I can't say what I've doen to get it to (which is why a network connection is much more satisfactory - and you don't need a hub, just a network card in both machines and a cat5 crossover cable).

It could possibly be the fact that we were trying to get my PC set-up with a DSL router along with my other PC and we had a bunch of funky protocols and junk of the sort on it. Internet Sharing got removed, so that isn't causing anything to interfere with it.....Otherwise, I'll keep trying at it, and if it works, is it possible to actually use the internet on my laptop doing that? I want to get a few patches for games that are on it, but I dislike burning a file thats less then 100mb (unless more then 1 that total 100mb+) onto a CD. Plus, I have problems with RW CDs....they don't like me.

Find a parallel port network adapter. Xircom is what I use.
Then plug it into the a hub.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

The reason I'm trying Parallel is so I don't need a Hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back