Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC keeps Shutting itself down

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelR

Technical User
Jan 25, 2002
GB
Hi,
I've just purchased a Packard Bell pc with Windows XP (home) and it seems to keep shutting itself down without any user interaction. The only way to stop it is to have an unsaved file open and selecting cancel when it prompts to save before closing.
Has anyone else had this problem or know of any xp issues. I've only installed 3com nic and Office 2000 since purchase. I also have a sneaking suspicion it only occurs when not connected to the network but maybe a red herring.
Thanks.

hi in control panel select system in system properties select advance tab in advance tab in startup and recovery settings go to system failer remove automatically restart check box and then ok this action should solv your problem

regards
Mandar

Yomander's solution is a good idea as this will bring up any error message via a blue screen. This will be a start to diagnosing your problem. Post back with the exact error message you get. You can also check out your Event Viewer log for any error messages. You might also try running the Compatibility checking program. Also make sure you have all the latest drivers and updates from Windows updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back