Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC keeps rebooting 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdavis37

MIS
Jul 9, 2002
US
I changed the power strip and the power cord on the cpu. Still not working. The pc keeps rebooting itself. Do I have to change the power supply? I know this is a stupid question. Thanks

That being said. What kind of computer do you have? If you have a DELL computer, do not, I repeat, DO NOT replace the power supply with a generic one. Most DELL PCs use proprietary power supplies. I read that you can order a DELL power supply from

Hey!

There are no stupid questions! Thats why this forum is here. Just my two cents.

IBM Aptiva 300PL constantly Reboots, have changed Power Supply and memory, to no avail.Will not reboot if I boot to a floppy. Any Ideas.

Try plugging computer onto another circuit. You may have bad power coming to the computer.

Changed to many different power outlets, i'm on a large ups for the server room. Still reboots if booting from hard drive.

dannyl1,

At what stage of the boot process is the machine rebooting?
Do you have a temp guage in the bios? a hot CPU can cause this problem as well.

Thanks

John

It reboots immediately on start if connected to hard drive, but can boot if started from floppy boot disk.

I'm having similiar problem with win 2k server. I recently moved it from one corner to another corner, and theserver rebbots between 5 and 7 in the morning. It's connected to power strip and thestrip is connected to UPS. Do you have any suggestions. It's on a client site. and I only go there 2 times a week.

Thanks,
Ben1876

I've seen this happen to an IBM machine, swapping out the Hard Drive fixed it.

-Laughter works miracles.

I had several machines that would spontaneously reboot. I went through the whole deal of changing and upgrading power supplies, running DR. Watson, checking memory dumps, etc. Finally, I changed the memory, not the type, just the stick. Problem gone. I theorize that we had some sort of power spike that partially damaged the RAM chip, even though we run surge protectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back