Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC keeps rebooting at random intivals 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rastell

Technical User
Jun 5, 2003
GB
Following a migration from Win98 to XP Pro SP2 several users of our workgroup are experiencing frequent involuntary reboots.
These seem to occur randomly and are not seem to be application specific.
We have amended the Power Options to avoid monitor shutdown but this has not solved the problem.
Has any one any ideas?

First disable the hibernation mode. Then you have to understand that when SP2 is installed it has to restart to complete installation. If it is not installed properly it will keep restarting until it is. SP2 has given us problems at work also but we slowly been able to work around it.

Rrotayo,
Thank you for your prompt responce.
I'll check the Hibernation settings next week.
You said that you have been able to work around a similar situation - can you give more details?

Rastell

To get further information about any error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back