Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC keeps freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2002
GB
I'm having problems at the minute with an XP machine. Every couple of minutes it will freeze completely (not just the software, cd drives won't open for example). After about 45 seconds it goes back to normal.

Strange thing is, it remembers key strokes and mouse movements; and also ejects the cd tray when it comes back to life if you press the open button whilst it's frozen. I don't think it's software as I've reformated and re-installed, and it did it again just as XP finished installing.

I'm using a Intel Pentium 4 2.54gb with 1gb DDR RAM. It's been running fine for about 4 months, the problem has only started this weekend. Processor temperature looks fine.

I don't have to restart to get it working, it just unfreezes itself. it's driving me a bit mad to be honest. Anyone got any ideas on this, or has anyone seen it before?

Cheers

Mark

This sounds like it could be going to sleep, however the frequency that you mention (every few minutes and returns after 45 seconds) makes it difficult to understand.
So, without any further information, how about we check the CMOS information for sleep/hibernate/powerdown functions and disble them.. You will need to get into the BIOS Setup and have a look at anything that looks suspicious.. It's a start, unless you have any further information or characteristics of the problem.

Also, sometimes faulty RAM causes the system to stop responding momentarily, but it usually doesn't stop you opening the CD Drive.
Another thing you can try is to disconnect the power and IDE cable to the Cd rom to rule out if that is causing an issue.

Screen stays active though, so it's just like a pause. Surely if it's going to sleep then hibernation characteristics set in (monitor powers off etc).

Nothing has changed on the system, and it's been running fine for months. Nothing has been installed, hardware or software, and no patches have been applied.

The only change is the temperature of the room, but the processor isn't reporting to be any hotter. I'll try cooling it down with the side off and a desk fan, see what happens.

As I said though, EVERYTHING on the PC stops responding; even the reset button, but I get no software errors when it starts responding again.

You may not neccessarily see any effects of power down, but if you nothing has changed , been installed etc, then we can also assume a hardware issue, I'd be disconnecting the Cd Rom, as I mentioned before as a starting point, could be motherboard too, strange that Reset doesn't respond either, I must admit, I've seen most issues in my 15 years in the field, but not this one..
I doubt it would be heat related, usually that causes the system to hang - for good... until it's cool again, or causes a reboot, ...but then, you never know...

Well I would probably replace/test the RAM as a culprit, then the Powersupply.

Another idea - check your machine for spyware and use the task manager to see what processes are using lots of resources. You may be getting locked up by some insidious program taking your CPU for a 100% ride.

Just to finish this one off - it was the CD writer, which now doesn't work in any PC, so I've replaced it. Funny how it should stop the PC from responding, but it's solved now anyway. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back