Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC just restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizz

MIS
Sep 5, 2001
US
I have a 1.33gb AMD, running with Asus board, 256mb DDR ram, ATA 100 20gb Hard Drive, Nividia Geforce 3, Sound Blaster Audigy, 350w power supply. Well that is the system and the problem is I will be working on it and BAM it just restarts. No warning nothing just black screen and restarting. It does not slow down anything just restarts. Any suggestions? Running as a test PC it is not on a domain just single. Seems to be happening after I installed the new video card "Geforce 3". I am going to go into the bios and select the options when lose power remain off to see if it is a power problem but does anyone any suggestions?

Also I forgot but it is running Windows 2000 Pro, Service pack 2, and Office 2000. Has some other small programs but nothing major.

Why not try and take out the video card ans see if it still happens? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I went through this several times ... thinking it was defective hardware, etc. The advice about removing the audio card is a good one but also make sure that your system board bios is up to date and also go the website of your sound card mfg and make sure you are using the latest drivers. I am using Intel Board D850MV with SoundMax. I was crashing all the time (as you described). I updated the drivers for SoundMax and so far, not a restart in 48 hours! :)

I'm just a newbie here, but have you checked to make sure you're not using an "Educational" version of Win2K? I was told that once the 120 day period has expired, the OS just restarts itself at an interval. (By the way, I'm not Management(yet), I just registered really quickly. How do I change that?)

Well I am going to rebuild the system tonight and see what happens. I am not using the most current version of bios and I will upgrade it before the rebuild. Also I usually never set the option in the bios for Plug and Play Operating system I will do that before the rebuild also. I looked again at the bios and it was set to on power loss not to restart and remain off so maybe not a power problem. Kinda makes me mad cause I took the Voodoo 3 video card out to put this new better running card in and nothing but problems. The version of Win 2K I am using is an upgrade version and have not had this problem with it before ran it on my laptop before I got XP.

Random restarts can be caused by a bad power supply, bad ram, and overheating. Overheating is common with amd processors.

Well I fomatted and reloaded without SP2 and got IE6. Upon reloading I saw if you go to System Properties and then the advanced tab there at the bottom button is Startup and recovery under that is a check box for automatically reboot if a system problem comes up. I have unchecked it and so far so good. I think some of my problems is with the Video card and the sound card and other resources are sharing the IRQ 9. Not sure how to change that thou.

I had the same problem this week. The pc would reboot or display a STOP: 0x0000000A... blue screen. After removing cards, trying different drivers etc. I got a new motherboard, and now the pc is up on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back