Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC just keeps rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

INFOSTUD

MIS
Aug 30, 2001
US
I cleaned a bunch of trojans and spyware off a Windows 2000 Professional PC. The PC reboots gets all the way to the Starting Windows dialog box and then it just reboots.

Any ideas? Only thing I can think of is re-installing/repairing the OS by picking the repair Windows option during setup.

Have you tried to press f8 when the PC first starts booting and booting into the safe mode?

Erik

Yes, I tried that. And that's how I removed the trojans. The bloody thing keeps rebooting and rebooting when I try to get the system to boot into normal mode

Although I havent tried it worth a shot. Load in recovery console from disc and try running system file checker unless you can get into safe mode then do it that way. Also check your msconfig list and also check the boot.ini file. If that file gets modified wrong it will send a c omputer into endless boot cycle.

You might need a repair reinstall - (you'll need to reapply windows updates after this - so best if done with a SP4 install CD - you can create one by slipstreaming SP4 into base install CD if you need one - Google to find method - there's lots of sites. some have instructions for including hotfixes too).

echoing electronicsfreak its worth trying chkdsk /p from recovery console ( or chkdsk /f from safe mode before doing the repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back