Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Issues loading from DVDROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat8309

Technical User
Nov 10, 2009
US
Two years ago, my Dell XPS was taken in to have Trojans removed, since then it hasn't worked right. Sound issues (sound would die and couldn't even play a vid), and the computer would completely freeze up at random. At that time, I played World of Warcraft. This computer is a gaming machine and should have been able to handle it easily.

Since then, I've talked with a few different people and I've run KillDisk to wipe my harddrive and ensure no viruses were present, reinstalled WindowsXP, added all the drivers that were checkmarked on the driver installation cd's that came with the computer. Computer actually froze up during reinstallation of World of Warcraft. Nothing was being done except for that upload.

While I think I may have figured out the freezing issues (I hope), my drives seem to not want to work. Loading from the DVD ROM of the game the computer will NOT accept it. I can use the little cd's and do little bits at a time, but I can't use the DVD, or the download straight from the website. I'm currently copying the game files from an external harddrive that my husband and I have. I'm not sure why I get error messages suggesting something is wrong with C:/... and I'm not sure what to do about this. It seems even the "professionals" can't even fix it right. :(

What should I do?

What graphics chipset do you have? If it's an nVidia graphics chipset, in the 8xxx series, then I suggest that may be your issue. They caused a lot of headaches, particularly in the XPS line of laptops. It seems that the M1550 was the aboslutely worst hit of all. I know one family who bought 2 of the M1550s with the nVidia graphics. Both of them have been through 3 or 4 motherboards amongst other parts, and all they did was left their laptops sitting on desks most if not all the time. And I think the most demanding PC game at least one of them played was the Sims.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Wow, really? I had someone suggest that it could be a harddrive issue. Though, from what you're saying, I could probably have to change them both out. Yes, nVidia is on the computer, but I'm not entirely sure of the model number.

This computer was built four years ago by Dell, would there be anyway to change up the drivers used on it? Or would I need to take it somewhere and have a professional do it?

If it was built 4 years ago, then I can promise you it's not the problem nVidia chipset. So don't worry about that part.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

So then, my friend was right and its most likely some kind of hard drive issue?

It was suggested that perhaps some dust or something found its way into the harddrive causing peculiar errors such as the one I've described. I was planning on looking into buying a new harddrive and replacing each of the old ones to find out which is the bad one (there's two harddrives in the computer).

I would suggest:

1. run a Memtest such as MemTest86+, to check the RAM for errors...

2. DL the Manufacturers Tools for the HDD, e.g. if they are Seagate drives then use SeaTools. Here is a comprehensive list of links to said tools:
they will see if the drives are bad or not...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

What BadBigBen suggested - always these two are the first things I do when flaky things are happening not attributable to malware.

Thanks for the insight guys, I'm about to go and check that stuff out. I still think that kjv1611 has a point. Considering the computer is about 4 years old, it probably wouldn't hurt to change up the harddrive.

You all have been great help, I really appreciate it. For two years we've been having issues and the people we take it too "can't recreate the problem" so they can't diagnose any errors. As far as they're concerned, the computer is in fine working order. : /

Don't change the hard drive until you troubleshoot the problem, unless you like to spend money and just want to start fresh.

I personally wouldn't even consider changing the hard drive unless you got a positive result (errors detected) using the manufacturer's hard drive testing utility as already mentioned above.

Over the past few days, I've noticed a message that pops up and not quite sure what its related to. I'm guessing its either the Harddrive or the Graphics/Vid card, but again, not very sure. Here's the message that I receive:

"RAID Access Failure.
Access Failure: Critical error on disk SAMSUNG SP2504C (Port: SATA4)"

Any ideas?

The SAMSUNG SP2504C is referring to your hard drive. When and how often is this error occurring?

Well, its happened twice today, and I've rebooted a little more than that. I think I've rebooted about 3 maybe 4 times, and only remember seeing the issue twice. It had also popped up a few days ago after rebooting. (I'd been reinstalling drivers and such after running KillDisk and then reinstalling Windows.)

So, then this basically reaffirms the need to upgrade and replace the existing harddrive. Correct?

I'm going to try running the diagnostic again, I didn't have much luck with it before. I'm rather new to this whole process, but was tired of it not being fixed right when we paid people to fix it.

Harddrives are generally plug and play, right? No drivers to install or what not?

Yes, drives are pretty much Plug N Play. In case case, you want a SATA drive.

Well, I'm on dell.com right now about to chat with a rep regarding a possible harddrive upgrade. I didn't run any of the diags cause I just figured it's old enough it could probably use it. Also not quite sure how to run them and didn't want to make things worse lol...

Thanks everyone for all your help, I really appreciate it. If I have any questions I'll be back, I'm kind of learning as I go. You all have been great help. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back