Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Icon and missing Resource Forks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACraib

MIS
Sep 7, 2001
GB
Hi

I've got some file that have a generic PC icon (they should be photoshop files). If I try anf open them in photoshop I get told that the file is the wrong type (I'm assuming that the resource fork is missing).

is there a way to fix this (I don't have access to the original files) ?

I've tried Disk First Aid and Norton.

Cheers

andrew

The resource fork shouldn't be neccessary to open Photoshop files. You should still be able to open them from within Photoshop, although double-clicking them mightn't work until you resave them. You could try one of the following:

1. Add a file extension. If it's a photoshop file, add .psd to the filename, a tiff file use .tif, jpeg, use .jpg, etc, etc...

2. Try adding .bin or .hqx to the file name and double-clicking it.

Failing that, here's a few questions that might help. Where did the file originate? Was it a Mac file that was emailed from a PC? Is the file encoded in some way (eg compressed)? Perhaps you could open the file in a text/hex editor and tell us what the first few charactors are -- this can sometimes give a clue as to what type of file it is.

Thansk for the quick response. The files we created on a mac ... then copied to a windows 2000 server running services for mac and then copied back to a mac when they went 'wrong'

I managed to find a util that fix/addedd the resource fork back.

thanks for your help.

Andrew

Were either of the macs running OS X? I' ve had a problem copying from OS X to Win2K, back to OS 9.2.2 and loosing file types.

All of my macs were running OS9.1 or later .... we had no OS X machines at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back