Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC has dissappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

swanwim

MIS
Feb 24, 2004
US
I have a PC running on our network that seems to have vanished. The PC itself can connect to all of the network resources but nothing else can see it. You cannot even ping it! Has anyone ever seen this and know a solution?

How does this pc get it's ip address? If you use DHCP, open a command prompt and type: ipconfig /release and press enter. It should release the ip address. Then type ipconfig /renew and press enter. This SHOULD get your IP address renewed and get you working again. If it doesn't, then again, at the prompt type: ping 127.0.0.1 and see if you get a response back. If you don't, I'd suspect the NIC card is bad or needs to be removed and re-seated.

Crazy questions:

Is the PC in question running a firewall; does the firewall allow for Windows networking?

When you review the network settings for the NIC on that machine, is the "Client for Microsoft Networks" checked (enabled/installed)?

- Mr. Gone
A+, Net+, MCP (Win2K Pro)

It does get its IP address from DHCP and if you release/renew you still cannot see it on the network. The PC is not running a firewall and obviously it has client for microsoft networks is available as this machine logs onto a domain and as I said the PC itself can see every other machine on the network. Any other suggestions?

Check and see if the server service has stopped, it may explain the fact that other computers can't see the computer.

Nothing perfectly solid, but I am aware of networking problems between XP / 2000 Pro / 98. Fairly certain that the problems arise due to an incompatible version of NetBEUI that comes default with XP.

Is the problem machine XP, and is the rest of the network 2000? ...or any of the other possible OS combinations mentioned above?

- Mr. Gone

...also:

Is the problem PC on the far side of a router (or similar device) from the other PCs from which you are attempting to connect? Point being: are the other PCs in need of/configured with the proper default gateway settings to reach the "invisible" node?

- Mr. Gone

everything is configured correctly and using proper gateways etc as it is all picked up from DHCP also the server service is running. Any other suggestions?

Swanwim,

I don't mean to question your tech savvy, but you're blowing right over allot of the details here. It's usually the little things that we miss which can trip us up for days on end trying to sort out these problems.

1. Did you try to ping local host from the invisible PC?
2. Have you tried to ping the invisible PC's IP address from another node?
3. IS the invisible PC on a different subnet?

...If you determine that the TCP/IP stack is all good within the invisible machine, then perhaps it's a matter DNS name resolution. If you can ping the IP address from another node, but cannot see/connect the PC by it's name, then that seems likely. If you cannot ping the IP address, then it could be a problem with the subnetting...

Please help us to visualize your network layout.

- Mr. Gone

OK a full run down of the problem. The machine in question is a laptop running w2k pro sp4. It is on a corporate network and is set up identically to 300 other machines on this site. The user who has this laptop has no administrative rights so would be unable to change any of the settings himself.

On his machine I can ping every IP address or DNS name I want from any other machine I cannot ping either his IP address or his computer name. When I ping his IP address it does resolve his computer name but comes back as the host is unreachable.

I have changed his IP address so the problem is not with that. I have deleted his local profile and recreated in case it was due to a corrupt registry entry but it was not that. I have changed his computer name and created a new computer account on the domain and it is not that I have changed his NIC and it is not that. I have changed ports on the hub to a known good one and it is not that.

This machine also has a wireless network connection so the user can connect to our domain from home via his broadband connection but we have several other users who have this same config who do not have any problems however I am starting to suspect that the problem may be related to his wireless connection.

MstrGone in answer to your 3 questions:
1: Yes you can
2: Yes but it is still unreachable
3: It is on the same Subnet

Do you need any other details?

Swanwim,
Is it possible that someone has applied filters in the TCP/IP protocol and or some other software has been installed which is blocking the ports. I had a user here with a similar problem. The user had installed software that was blocking some of the incoming traffic and allowing all outgoing traffic. The software did not require administrative rights and was basically running in stealth. You had to actually go to the executable which was in the WinNT folder to make any changes. The name escapes me right now, but I will post back if I can remember what it was. Was some time ago.

ScorpioX

ScorpioX

our users would not be able to add a prgram like this as there image is lokked down as tight as possible the only folder they can right to is their My Documenst folder.

I agree with ScorpioX. It seems as if something must be blocking the inbound ports.

Have you checked the TCP/IP setting on the invisible PCs adapter to make sure the TCP/IP filtering option is not enabled and blocking inbound communications?

- Mr. Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back