Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnemyGateIsDown

Technical User
Oct 3, 2002
GB
Hi guys,

I have recently added a new 250GB SATA HD and a new DVD Writer to my machine and since then I seem to be experiencing an odd problem.

When I am using the machine and especially when I am multitasking at certain times the machine freezes.. and I mean freeze.. No mouse or keyboard response.. the num lock light (usually a good indicator as it uses an simple interrupt) stops responding.. then about 10 seconds later it continues all keyboard/mouse response returns as if nothing has happened?

Has anyone experienced this before as it is baffling me... I am naturally suspicious of the new devices however the symptoms are odd for a power related problem..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Are you sure there is no spyware on the system? As cool web search and search assistant will both cause those exact effects.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

1.) is the PSU in use up to the task? what wattage does it have...

2.) is indexing activated for the SATA drive?

3.) run Spyware and Antivirus checks, as Efreak suggested, just to be on the save side...

4.) check the jumpering on the drives (all of them) if they are correct... the DVD should be Master on the Secondary chain when you have another Optical drive set it to Slave... for testing you could disconnect the DVD and see if the PC still acts the way you mentioned, if it does then you know that the DVD is the culprit...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input, the PSU is 600 watt and seems ok... How do i check if Indexing is activated for the SATA drive?

Thanks guys,

Chris

To check if indexing is turned on/off, go to My Computer. Right click Local Disk (C) and go to properties. The properties tab normally has a check mark in the indexing service box. Personally, I always uncheck it because indexing only slows down a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back