Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wurzil

Technical User
Jun 19, 2001
GB
Whenever I try to do anything with Groupwise 5.5, the whole Pc will freeze, but this random.
I could be printing, sending, spell checking email, switching to or from Groupwise from another application, anything that involves using groupwise.
Has anyone else come across this before?
I've already uninstalled it, unc'd it and reinstalled network card and client 32 aswell, still no luck

Regards

Andrea

What OS is GroupWise running on? Does it happen with any user of this PC or just one particular one? Can you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and shut down GroupWise? If you are able to do the latter, do you regain control of the system? Are all the service packs installed on the workstation (if running Windows NT have you applied SP6 again)?

Just a few suggestions and questions.....

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

It's Windows 95, and it is just this particular user.
When the Pc freezes I can't do anything, the mouse won't move Ctrl Alt delete doesn't do anything - I have to physically switch it off and on again.
I have a laptop - win98 - which is disconnecting itself from the network on a regular basis. It isn't hibernating.
Can you help?

regards

Andrea

Andrea....

One issue at a time :)

Can this one particular user log into another system and obtain access to GroupWise? If they can not I would run an Analyze/fix on their account and pull some statistics down. How much mail do they have in their inbox? That could be a factor. If they can log into another system and get into GroupWise then it's a workstation issue. You didn't mention what version of Windows 95 it was (OSR1 or OSR2) If your running on OSR1 I believe microsoft released two service packs for that, I would reapply them to the workstation to see if maybe one of the system files has been downgraded by another software installation. The key to the entire problem boils down to if the user can access from another system, that will tell me if it's their account or the workstation that is causing the issue....

On the Windows 98 system, disable Power management and see if the problem still occurs....

Update me and let me know what a status on this is... david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

Thank you for replying, and I'll keep the 2 seperate for now!!

The WIn95 user is on version B, and is currently sat on another PC working happily - no problems at all in the last day and a half. Now I've managed to get him off his PC and swapped it for a good one, I've been having a little play and it doesn't look now like it's always Groupwise. I tried to maximize a window and it hung. I've tried to open another app, and it hung. But if I reboot and do it again it's fine - I can't pin it down yet and it's too random.

The win98 laptop user - I have already disabled power management, and I've asked her to remove the battery and just power it off the mains for the next couple of days to see how she gets on. So far today she hasn't called (fingers crossed).
Will let you know tomorrow how things are, and thank you again for helping me with this :)

No problem, we are all here to help each other out :)

Win95 issue.....

What I would do...

1. Remove everything out of Startup and test.
2. Edit the win.ini file and look for anything runing in the...

load=
run=

Remove them (making a note of the lines to be added later) and then test again.

If its still locking up I would go ahead and reload Win95 and then test again. If that doesn't work then I would backup the Hard Drive then reformat and reload the entire system.

Again glad to help when I can.... :)

david e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back