Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC freezes while booting up when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtboulder

Technical User
Sep 16, 2003
US
I have a new PC (P4 2.4GHz, 512MB DDR, Geforce 4 Mx440, 300W Power Supply). When I first start the PC in the morning it takes 3 or 4 tries to get it to complete the boot up sequence. Once completed it usually freezes up 1 or 2 times requiring Boot up. After that the system will run fine with the exception that occassionally (once a day) it will reboot itself or freez up. I've tried reseating all the cards and connections (except the P4 in the socket)

Any suggestion on what to try to find this issue? Thanks

Get a program to test the memory but also if possible run some tests on the HD. I've seen drives be slow to come up to speed when cold.

Hi,

I agree with green250.
What is the maker of your new PC? Your warranty should help you get the problem solved.

One thing you can try to find a part that has problems with low temps is to buy a can of compressed computer air. Turn the can upside down so a cold fog comes out and spray each part in the system. Once you find the defective part the system should freeze like you discribe.

Darrell,

Thanks for the advice. The PC is a "white box" purchased on ebay (live and learn). I tested the memory (even swapped it with different memory) and all seems OK. I tested the Drive with Seagate utility when warm and first thing in the morning when cold. Both tests passed. I tried reseating the P4 with new themo grease. Problem still present. I guess that leaves Graphics card and MB.

Is there any concerns using the "freeze technique" mentioned above with shorting things out due to liquid?

Thanks

Hi again,

No concerns about using computer air to cool your parts.
We do it all the time for just this purpose. Just a small puff or two on each part will be enough. If you sprayed for a long time, it would be possible for condensate to form causing a small amount of moisture.

I don't think the video card would be causing this problem. Do you know what motherboard is installed in the system? If look at the boot screen at startup, the very first screen 'should' give you a string of numbers that you can use to search for the make and model motherboard you have. Just make sure that you turn on the monitor first to let it warn up because the first screen goes by very fast. You cna press the "Pause" key to freeze the system so you have time to write down the numbers you need. Hit 'Enter" to start the boot process again.

Darrell,

Thanks Darrell, the motherboard is a ECS L48SA2 (SIS 648/963 chipset). I do have the latest BIOS installed.

Mike

Hi again,

I do not find any listing for a L48SA2 motherboard at .
Are you sure of that number?
And since you mentioned Ebay as the source of your computer, could it be that the system is using a CPU that is overclocked to reach it's current speed?
Overclocking is a common scam to sell a lower speed system as one with a higher clock rate.

Darrell,

Hi
I have this problem also. Mine was caused by a bad cpu heatsink fan. If the fan slows down the motherboard Pc Health sences the speed and shuts down.

My mistake Darrell, the MB is a L4S8A2. I found it on the website you suggested under Intel 478 MBs. The computer came with the original Intel P4 box and it is listed as 2.4GHz which is the advertised spec. I also reseated the P4 and the markings matched 2.4GHz. Also, the CPU fan (came with MPU package) is spinning when the computer turned on.

Thanks

Mike

hi there, I suggest you try a switch of the POWER switch with the RESET switch ( then turning on the PC with the RESET switch instead) and try it from there, is it still producing the same probs? check your power connector on the mobo could be loose (happened to me took me a whole week to notice the darn thing)... generally check your cables for tightness aswell...

Ben

I finally fixed this problem with my PC. After trying different, Power Supply, Memory, Graphics Card and Hard Drive it turned out to be a bad Mother Board. I replaced the MB with a new one just like it and problem fixed.

Anyone have any thoughts on if there is something easy to replace on a MB that would cause it to not work properly until it was warmed up? Bad solder joint?

Thanks

Hi there, glad to hear that you found the prob...

well there could be a crack on the MoBo somewhere that prevents functioning until it warms up (thus expanding and reconnecting something that would make it work normal for a while...)

if it's a damaged component like a capacitor you can replace it... if it's a chip then your out of luck... if it's a cold solder point no prob just resolder... (sorry about the lack of words here) if it's a 'LEITERBAHN' that is cracked you could in that case solder a bridge (cable connecting one solder point with the other) that it connects...

ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back