Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC freezes when I access a file, need help to remove it

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolo9876

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2002
US
First, I am running Win Me 4.90.3000 with a 800mhz AMD Duron processor. Have 384 MG of RAM.

I have a file that I have tried to get rid of, and every time I try to open the folde in explorer, or access it in any other way, it FREEZES my computer.

I have defragged, ran latestest Mcafee antivirus on it, used all sorts of cleaning, ran a thorough scandisk, wiping, registery cleaners, erasing programs to no avail. One of the cleaning programs actually "deleted" it. But when I went to empty the recycled bin, it freezes. After that, I tried to use WinMe's Disk Cleanup, and it the PC froze when it came to emptying the recycle bin.

After that I restored the entire folder to where it was and deleted and emptied all other files in the folder.

The file in question is one I downloaded from Kazaa and is EasyCreater.exe or something like that.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can wipe out this file from my system ??

PLEASE HELP,Feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks in advance,

Jolo (Jon)
jontemple@adelphia.net

had the same prob only i'm running a 733 p3..i decided to fdisk and format, everything i lost was already copied to disk so no big deal and my pc is all new again .kazaa has alot of good stuff and bad stuff, its the price we pay when its free.

Try deleting the file from Safe Mode, or from MS-DOS (you will need to boot from an Emergency Boot Disk to do this).

The boot disk can be made by going to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. There is a tab for the EBD.

Have you tried checking the properties of the folder? It may be set so that it cannot be deleted. Right click the folder and go to properties. Check there and under the security tab. See if you can change it then delete it.
fedto [cheers]

My first thought is this file may contain a virus.
I would try removing the file through DOS. If you know how to boot to DOS then do that. Otherwise, use a boot disk (preferably one created before you downloaded this file or on another clean computer) to boot to the c: prompt.
Once you are there you need to change to the appropriate file directory. If the file is located in c:\windows\temp then type cd c:\windows\temp
Then to delete the file, type del easycreator.exe (make sure you have the correct spelling of this file name). This should work. If you get an access error or file not found,
then type attrib -h -s -r
Then try to delete the file again, type
del easycreator.exe
This should remove the file.
Make sure you perform a complete offline virus scan of your system. Go to something like and select all the checkboxes for a scan of your drive(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back