Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Freezes up

Status
Not open for further replies.

lerxst

Technical User
Jul 7, 2002
GB
Can anyone help me?
My PC running 98SE freezes up inconsistantly. When this happens the keyboard + mouse do not repond and its a switch off at the socket job! After such an event windows freezes up on startup and I have to power down, wait and come back in say 1 hour. I have had this problem for a while and it is very annooying when I lose work. I have checked the msconfig startup file and only have ScanRegistry, SystemTray running automatically. I wondered about the graphics card settings, but cannot see why this would freeze up as I do not run onerous applications, mainly MSWord and IE5. Many thanks for any help in advance.

Have you tried deleting all of your temporary Internet files? That usually helps, along with a Defrag if you need it.

Something to check would be your cooling /processor fans. If processor fan is not working ,things will freeze up...
Hope this helps

Quite likely hardware - as dutchie44 says, check your processor is not overheating. Could also check memory (if you have more than one stick, run on one stick for a while - see if it continues - if it does, try other stick(s), if it doesn't, still try other sticks on their own - 2 good sticks can cause problem together. Also if spare memory slot, try moving one stick to it).

But could also be any other hardware - or with win98, almost anything.

Sounds like overheating. Check all fans.

If it is memory, then Wolluf has a good suggestion. I must add that if you have Rambus (RDRAM), you cannot remove just 1 stick. These must be installed in pairs.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back