Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC failes to boot after installing IE6SP1 Critical Update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrismenzies

Technical User
Oct 2, 2003
GB
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this message. Apologies if it is the wrong one.

This morning I received a message from Microsoft Update Services to tell me that there is a critical update available online that I do not have. I clicked on View Critical Update Now and was presented with a Critical Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1. I cannot tell you what the patch was for as I quickly clicked on Install Now.

Upon rebooting the PC I get a serious of characters on a black screen (e.g. !"£$%^&*), after 30 seconds of booting Windows 98 and then the PC asks me to hit any key to continue.

Whether or not I press any key the PC shuts down.

This is also happening if I try to boot up in Safe Mode.

I always run Windows Update on a twice weekly basis, so this Critical Update is one the latest to be replaced by Microsoft.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Can anyone help? At the moment I am twiddling my thumbs with no PC to my name! Help!

Regards

CRML

Boot into Safe Mode.
Use Control Panel, Add/Remove programs to uninstall the Hotfix.

When the issue of booting is sorted, do a check for malware on your system. See faq608-4650

Bcastner

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately as I said in my post I am unable to boot up in Safe Mode as Once I have selected the Safe Mode option I am still given the black screen with characters on it and then the PC shuts itself down!

Help!

CRML

If you have a Win98 startup diskette, it may be an idea to boot from it and run the sys c: command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back