Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Doesn't turn on with Power Button 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkhera

Technical User
Jul 15, 2002
US
My PC doesn't always turn on when I turn on the power button on. It show like it's turning on and then the screen says it's going into the sleep mode. I have to plug it off from the back of the pc and then replug and it starts up fine. It started happening recently - not sure what it is related to. I have HP PC and Win 98 second edition.

Thanks for your help

Are you sure the computer is not already on when you hit the power button?? ~Apex1x
Miller's Law:
You can't tell how deep a puddle is until you step into it.

Most likley the computer is set to a sleep when you hit the power button. Hold it down for maybe ten seconds and see if it shuts off.

For most ATX devices, you need to hold the power button for about 4 or 5 seconds before it shuts down. This should only be used if the machine wont shut down through windows automatically though. ~Apex1x
Miller's Law:
You can't tell how deep a puddle is until you step into it.

Shut down is not a problem. I am able to shut down from Windows. It's only when I want to re-start that I get his problem.

Does this happen when you shut it off and then try to power back up a few seconds later? If you have to power it off/on from the back in order for it to power up from the front panel switch then you should replace the power supply.

Hi Mainegeek

I think power supply might be the problem. If I shut it down and start from the front panel it starts right away otherwise if I wait then try to start it doesn't. How hard is it to change the powersupply. I have replaced PCI cards etc. but never the power supply.

Thanks

I'm not confident your PSU is bad, but it's your money.
I prefer to think something's awry with the Power Management settings either in the BIOS or the Control Panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back