Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Does not show slave hard drive in windows Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlaSita27

Technical User
Mar 21, 2003
US
I just recently added a second hard drive installed as a slave. I changed the Bios settings to Auto and it does recognize the slave hard drive after a reboot. I ran fdisk and configured the drive, bt I cannot format it because my pc does not show the drive under "My Computer". Device manager sees the hard drive and the status is "this device is working properly". I also have a CD/RW wich is used as a master and the CD ROM is used as a slave. Both are working properly and are recognized under "My Computer". I don't think the CD/RW has anything to do with my second hard drive not showing. Anyway, after a reboot, Windows XP showed a pop-up of "new hardware detected" with a description of "fcd" or "fdc" which really doesn't tell me anything. After seeing that popup, a few seconds later it went away and I never did see the "add hardware wizard" come up. If device manager sees the hard drive and CMOS as well, why doesn't it show up under "My Computer" as a second drive? Did I miss a step? Please help :)

It needs to be formatted to use it, and have it show.
In XP, go to Admin tools, Computer management, disk management, right click the new drive in the right hand pane, and format it.
It will now show up in My Computer and Explorer. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I finally figured it out after going into disk management. The disk wasn't showing up in there either so I had to create a logical drive, give it a drive letter and format it in order for it to show up under "Volume". I knew I was missing a step somewhere, lol. Thanks for replying anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back