Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC does not register into DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Code666

MIS
Feb 4, 2004
US
hello,
i have a few PC's (15 or so running 2K and XP) that are not registering into DNS. ipconfig /all for the clients show they are correctly pointed to the internal DNS and WINS servers. the DHCP server is set to always update DNS for the clients. when pinging of course the NETBIOS name is returned by WINS. the clients option 'register the addresses in dns' is checked (but this setting of course is not necessary as the DHCP server will always update DNS). not too sure what else to look for. if there is any more information please let me know.

What is the running status of the DNS Client service?

hello bcastner,
the DNS client service is started and running along with DHCP, SERVER, and WORKSTATION services. i made the change on the DHCP server to let the clients register with DNS now to see if anything would change and so far it hasn't worked.

And the results of an ipconfig /registerdns ?

i'll have to run down to the machine during the user's lunch break to get it. the last time i did an ipconfig /all while troubleshooting it did show the correct DNS/WINS information for the client. i'll post back here in a little bit.

sorry for the late reply, but here is the ipconfig /all output, it looks correct:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : houw2799
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : us.ad.ep.corp
us.ep.corp

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : us.ad.ep.corp
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-DB-89-46-16
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.55.164.105
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.55.164.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.55.128.14
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.55.128.10
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.55.128.15
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.55.128.14
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 12, 2005 2:45:33 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 14, 2005 2:45:33 PM

the only curious thing i can see (but not sure if this will have an effect) is that the Primary DNS Suffix field is blank. any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back