Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC does not boot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZeemeri

Technical User
May 16, 2001
NL
Hello,

Build an own system
Asus a7a266 mobtherboard
256 MB DDR RAM
1,2 Athlon

Starting the computer:
Powersupply works, green LED on motherboard is on.
CPU cooler fan works, Videocard coolerfan works, but no screen? everything seems to be connected correctly according to the manual?

Anyone?

First of all, I'm guesing you have just built this machine and it hasn't worked yet.!
So check or maybe reseat the memory, check you have the CPU setting correctly set. If all this fails, simply disconnect everything, and have only the the video card connected to the motherboard, take out all ide connections and other PCI cards. Turn it on and if it loads then fine there may be something wrong with another device. If not the the video card may be shafted.!
Hope this helps.!..

You can follow allankirk's instructions, but before condeming the video card try reseating it.
If the green LED on the monitor is yellow or flashing that means there is no video signal.
Turn off the power supply or unplug it before removing any cards or connectors. That green LED on the motherboard is an indicator that the board still has power.
Remove the video card from it's slot and reinstall it.
Check the card edge connector and the slot for foreign material and clean if necessary.
Be sure to turn off the monitor then turn it back on between tries. This is sometimes necessary to reset the monitor after no signal errors.
If this fails to fix the problem follow allankirk's suggestion but leave the floppy drive connected and boot to a bootable floppy disk. If the system boots reinstall the devices one at a time starting with the harddrive.
Let me know what you find.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
John

...also try reseating the CPU and RAM. I've seen these symptoms caused many times by poorly seated components.

Hope this helps

ok thanks guys!
It works now! The jumper for the memory was set wrong.
Cheers

Hmm, what jumper did you change?

I'm having the same problem. Exactly the same problem. I at work now but pretty sure I changed the Memory Dip switch for DDR. Any specifics would be GREAT.

If anyone can help with this, it would be great!
I think the mobo is bad. System gets power, all fans get power - however - it does not initialize the video card. After the cd rom drives cycle, it seems to halt. So all I get from that point is just the fans blowing.

I tried clearing the cmos, taking cmos battery out and booting, detatching everything except the video card and booting, but I still have the same problem.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me!

Tinjen

I forgot to mention that my mobo is Asus A7A266 - in case that helps you to help me...
Thanks
Tinjen

I'm getting the same thing and yes it's Asus A7a266 MOBO. Tried everything above the recent suggustions. At first I thought it was the MOBO causing the problem, but we since replace it with a new one with less than staler results. I tried replacing the AGP card with another AGP card I know work, but with little luck with getting the video to initialize. The monitor LED light stays Orange and at this stage I'm little loss and the only thing we didn't replace is the mid-tower.

Any suggustion…I'm running out of ideas.

I'm also having an identical problem - the thing just wont boot. I think this is a problem with the motherboard.
My kit is:
Asus a7a266 mobo
1.4 athlon 266fsb
256mb 2100 DDR
Asus 7700pro graphics

Got the same problem with a7a266 bios 1006.
Works fine with SDRAM but freezes with DDR (256 (works 20 minutes) or 512 (don't even boot)).
Tried all the switch positions.
That is bad, gonna buy a KG7 or a MSI...

Same problem here guys. A7A266, got nothing on the board except the CPU and Fan, can't even get the POST beeps. My old mobo does the "missing video card" beeps with the same config. I'm probably going to take it back and get another brand if i can't get it to work in the next few days.

Cheers,
Maggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back