Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC displays graphical symbols 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie2

Programmer
Jan 6, 2003
US
i'm looking at a hewlett packard pc (belongs to someone else) that displays graphical symbols instead of numbers, periods, semicolons, colons, etc. inputting data is the same, i press any of the keys listed above , and get a symbol on the screen. it starts at bootup. alpha (a-z) input and display ok. i've run norton virus scan, but it doesn't find anything (don't know if its up to date). don't know much abou this pc, except its running windows 2000me as its os, and it appears to be a relative new machine. i don't know alot about the workings of a pc, but told the guy that i would look at it. anybody have ideas? thanks for any help.

Cookie2, there are really only 3 possibilities (this is if the settings in the bios are correct - check that first) - drivers (like maybe a corrupt file), bad keyboard (this includes the cable and connector) or bad keyboard port. If you can start it at command prompt safe mode, and at the prompt it still happens, then it starts in DOS mode before Windows and drivers load and I would say that means your possibilities drop to 2 - bad keyboard or bad keyboard port. Check the little pins to see if one is missing, too.

What applications does this happen in? My guess is that somehow Wingdings font is the current default.

can't be keyboard because it happens at bootup (displays
symbols). i mentioned input, because all input (excluding alpha a-z) from keyboard is converted to symbols also. i can't get to windows, so everything is happening in DOS. i have run fdisk, reformatted the harddrive, and it still displays the symbols. someone told me to check the pins where the monitor plugs into the video card. also, i'm using my monitor (compaq) to test with. are most monitors compatible? maybe this is the problem. thanks for the help, you've given me possiblilities to look at.

Okay, just to make sure that we are all on the same idea here:

This computer, when it boots, will show symbols instead of numbers on the POST screen. Then, once you are in DOS, you type on the keyboard. All letters are fine, but the numbers will show the same type of symbols that you see during POST. Is this correct?

If so, then my guess is that you are having trouble with the video card. If the video RAM (not system RAM) is having trouble, this can occur. Try a different video card. Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

[mudskipper],

correct on all assumptions. sorry i didn't make it more clear. i will try a different video card. thanks to all for your help.

cookie

uh-ho, it looks like the video card is part of the mother board. what do i do now? any suggestions? thanks

cookie

you should be able to disable the onboard video card in the bios or by a jumper on the motherboard.
then you can try putting in a pci video card.
knoweldge is power, spread the power

found the problem, a ram module wasn't completely seated.
who would believe that this would cause this type of problem. i've never seen it happen before. sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees, you know? lol...thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the update. It is nice to know the results--

Yeah, RAM can cause that issue. Of course, it is also likely that your onboard video was using the System RAM (as opposed to seperate video RAM on the motherboard). Hence the issue with the graphics.

Anyway, glad it is working for you! Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

You know, now that you mention it, I have had a bad video card make symbols like you mention, but it was also some of the letters, too, not just the numbers, which seems like a static failure problem when normally video problems seem random in the characters .... so just the numbers acting weird didn't ring a bell .... Glad to know you found the problem.

Just wanted to add that a corrupted BIOS can display symbols such as the ones you described also. Travis McGuire
CCNA, Network+, A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back