Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC diagnostics utilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

cascades

MIS
Mar 31, 2000
US
Can I get some recommendations on any PC hardware diagnostic utilities that can be used to test components (memory, HD, CPU, etc)? I have found smithmicro's Check-It utilities via a web search, but wanted to solicit some feedback on this or other tools that might be available and have been used successfully.
thanks

For HARD DRIVES..... I use the manufacturer's diagnostic tools. This week alone, I have used them about 5 times, to verify the condition of used hard drives. ( you also have to use these for the RMA process to get error codes ) I keep all the current versionos of IBM, MAXTOR, WD, and seagage real handy. (screw fujitsu :)

For BURN-IN on EVERY system I build, I use a simple tool from ( I even paid them for it !, it works so well), but they have a shareware version.
It's the BIT - or Burn In Test software. $20.
* I know this doesn't strictly fall into the category of your question, however, it does help diagnose problems, with RAM, and especially VIDEO drive problems.

Memory testing tools....... oh, there are many. DOS tools, Windows tools,,,,,,,,,, etc. I would use Google to search, and see what you can find from INDEPENDENT PROFESSIONALS........ and not from the websites themselves.

Intel® Processor Frequency ID checks the cpu.
Version 3.9 of the utility is now available. The utility can be downloaded here in a self-extracting .exe file format. The download file size is approximately 1.07 MB, and takes about 5-6 minutes to download on a 28.8 Kb modem.

For parallel ports and serial ports I use an old DOS version of norton diags and some loop back plugs in the ports.
For hard drive problems I use the same as Jakespeare and use the manufacturers drive tools, although you can usually tell when a drive is faulty.

Hi;

sisoftware makes a pretty decent product called SANDRA.

The standard version is free.
You can download it at:

Ed Please let me know if the sugestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes your the windshield... Sometimes your the bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back