Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC crashes ONLY while using Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

elgordo1960

Technical User
Feb 19, 2005
GB
Specs:
Celeron 3000+
1024MB ddr
200GB HD
XP Pro
Microsoft Office Pro 2002

Hi!..LONG time no see.

This a new PC I have built myself. Everything works perfectly except that when I use Microsoft Word the PC goes to Black Sreen and hangs until I reset. I have reinstalled Word and problem remains.

I have tried all of the relevant fixes in the article to no avail.

Yes, tried it in safe mode and Word crashes to black screen after typing a few sentences..exactly as in normal mode

OK - so it crashed when you DID have a printer installed. You have since reformatted the HD, correct? Have you added a printer since reformatting the HD? As Fumei points out, you need a printer.

Also, is this a standalone machine, or is it on a network? We had a Word problem forever that we couldn't figure out. We finally found the problem was with a Group Policy that had Word looking for a network path for the "Auto Recover" files that no longer existed. Just a thought.

pgliardo...I have not in installed a printer since I reformatted the HD..I will do so right now and the PC is not on a network, ta for the input!

ok.. printer installed and Word crashed to black screen after a few minutes of furious typing..could it be faulty memory? will swap out the RAM tomorrow and also try another Graphics Card..worth a try I guess!

Thanks for you help,
elgordo

pgaliardo:

We had a Word problem forever that we couldn't figure out. We finally found the problem was with a Group Policy that had Word looking for a network path for the "Auto Recover" files that no longer existed.

Is the path for your autorecover files valid and do you have sufficient permissions to it? Your sympton of typing for a few minutes before Word crashes tends to point to some kind of issue with autorecover. To test if its autorecover related change the length of time between autorecover saves (tools ->options - save tab) and see if the length of time before a crash changes.

Cheers.

Try opening WOrd and going straight to Tools, Options, Spelling and Grammar tab and deselecting both Spelling and Grammar checking while you type.

Test again.

Regards: tf1

Is the path for your autorecover files valid and do you have sufficient permissions to it? Your sympton of typing for a few minutes before Word crashes tends to point to some kind of issue with autorecover. To test if its autorecover related change the length of time between autorecover saves (tools ->options - save tab) and see if the length of time before a crash changes.

I have reduced "save autorecover info" right down to one minute and I can definitely type for a lot longer when it is on that setting.

Try opening WOrd and going straight to Tools, Options, Spelling and Grammar tab and deselecting both Spelling and Grammar checking while you type.

Tried that and Word continued to crash in the same manner.

Well basically, AutoRecovery probably doesn't do what you think it does. Turn it off and test without it.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back