Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC crashes ONLY while using Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

elgordo1960

Technical User
Feb 19, 2005
GB
Specs:
Celeron 3000+
1024MB ddr
200GB HD
XP Pro
Microsoft Office Pro 2002

Hi!..LONG time no see.

This a new PC I have built myself. Everything works perfectly except that when I use Microsoft Word the PC goes to Black Sreen and hangs until I reset. I have reinstalled Word and problem remains.

Thanks,tf1, for your quick reply. Unfortunately the article didn't help me much as I can use Word for a while before it crashes and that scenario wasn't addressed . I have tried all of the relevant fixes in the article to no avail. Not sure waht to do next..could try a fresh windows install..but that's a last resort.

Do you have the latest m$ updates for Windows and Office?

Not sure..but will download right now and cross all fingers and toes...thanks for the tip..

Printer drivers and normal.dot are favourite causes. Does this happen at any time or when you are doing something in particular?

Regards: tf1

Actually it only happens when I'm editing a word doc...after a few minutes word crashes every time

That still leaves me suspecting the printer driver or a corrupt normal.dot. FOr a test, start Word in Safe mode by opening Start, Run and typing in

winword /a

and press enter. In Safe Mode, Word starts in its default install mode bypassing all add-ins, templates, macros or registry settings. It also stops interrogating the printer driver. So open up a document and start editing to see if it still crashes or is not stable.

Reminds me of a similar problem, a user reported some time ago with a dutch word...

The problem was a corrupt spell checker dictionary.
If the problem only occurs when editing a doc, it might be triggered by automatic spell checking.

I recommend you disable automatic spell checking and see if the problem remains. If not, you have a corrupt dictionary and should be able to fix it by downloading a new one.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Andy

[blue]Speak out against Human Rights violations in China/Tibet
[/blue]

That still leaves me suspecting the printer driver or a corrupt normal.dot. FOr a test, start Word in Safe mode by opening Start, Run and typing in winword /a

Tried that and word still crashes..I have no printer drivers installed!

Can you give me some more info on normal.dot? can I replace it if it is corrupt?

Have renamed normal.dot and problem remains.
also I have disables spell check and problem remains

This is odd!! This is the path for the custom.dic

C:\Documents and Settings\TrevAndrea\Application Data\Microsoft\Proof

this is the contents of custom.dic ...

mercurypc

that's it....shouldn't custom.dic include an entire dictionary of words??

Fantastic how such an important snippet of information is not revealed until now. Why didn't you say you had no printer installed when I suggested that the printer driver was the most likely suspect?

Fantastic how such an important snippet of information is not revealed until now. Why didn't you say you had no printer installed when I suggested that the printer driver was the most likely suspect?

because at the time I DID have printer drivers installed..I have since reformatted the hard drive :)

You have NO printer drivers installed? Word will not run without one. Word needs a printer driver installed.

I have no PRINTER installed, and have installed no drivers. If Word needs a printer driver to function I guess it must be using a driver built into Windows.

But in your FIRST post you said that Word doesn't run. Does it run or doesn't? If it runs, what is the purpose of this whole thread?

Word has to interrogate a printer driver in order to layout the page so that it resembles as near as possible to way it will look when printed. Without a printer driver instead, it cannot work.

Let's start again.

From your first post tf suggested there may be a problem with the printer driver. He also suggested trying to run Word in Safe Mode.

You have not responded to that suggestion.

Did you, or did you not try to run Word in Safe Mode?

In any case, there can be no printer connected to the computer, but there MUST be a printer driver set up for Word to function. MUST be. No ifs, ands, or buts.

When you look at the Printers folder, is there a printer set up. Do not assume Windows has made one.
If Word needs a printer driver to function I guess it must be using a driver built into Windows.
I can understand tf's frustration. Reading that - "it must be using" - sounds like Word IS functioning...yet your post seems to state that it is NOT functioning.

So....if it is true that trying to use Word gives a black screen and your system dies, then Word is frantically trying to start, but it CAN NOT start without a printer driver.

So make a printer. Set up a printer. It does not matter if you actually have one or not. To make Word function, you MUST have a printer driver installed.

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Oops..Sorry for the confusion guys..This is the situation...

I can load word and work on a document for a few minutes but then it crashes to a black screen..This is a new install of WinXP Pro (and Office XP 2002 Pro)...I have not installed any printer or drivers. Having said that, on the previous installation I had installed a printer and the problem with word was exactly the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back