Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Connection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddsalcedo

Programmer
Jul 2, 2001
US
I moved my PC and cable connection to a new residence, it was running fine beofre I moved it. The connection to the cable company is working fine but my PC runs verrrrrry slow on the Internet, yet my girlfriends PC runs great. Hers had never been hooked to my connection before either. I un-installed my firewall and have checked for Spyware, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas here?

Same cable company? I would remove any software provided by the cable company and re-install it again. Could be you have different info at the new address.

More detail, please.
What kind of connection is this?
Ethernet or wireless?
Any hubs/switches/routers involved?
If so, are you using the same cables plugged into exactly the same ports on the same PC's as before?

Is there any TCP/IP #'s or DNS servers that are default on her machine, but not on yours?

Hi there,

Depending on what you use to hook up to the Internet:

open RegEdit then go to the following KEY

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM|ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

there you find the following subkeys, which you need to change:

DefaultTTL

for Analog/Modem use the value: 128
for ISDN and DSL use the value: 64

GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize and TCPWindowSize

Analog/Modem: 2144
ISDN: 11680
DSL: 32767

MTU

Analog/Modem: 576
ISDN: 1500
DSL: 1492

this should set your internet speed to the correct values...

hope this helps!

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Same cable company, no cable company software installed. Ethernet connection connected directly to the cable modem. All setting are the same on both PC's.

I'll try the last suggestion when I get home this evening. At this point I'm thinking format c\ might be an option though LOL.

Have you tried setting up the internet connections again? That has helped several I've fought.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

hi I wouldn't really suggest you go into the registry, "regedit". unless you have had alot of experience in the registry. If you remove the wrong thing or change the wrong thing, it could cause serious problems maybe even resulting in having to format.You said it was the same cable company but no software installed.Usually the cable company provides you with a setup software cd .alot of time if you haven't setup your internet connection using your cable company's software it can cause slow browsing or even causse no internet connection at all. you also said you moved to a new residence.you might need to renew your IP Address.For Windows 98, click start button, then run button, then type in winipcfg. Then hit release all and after it does that hit renew all. For XP hit start then go to control panel, then network connections then right click on you local area connection and go to properties. then double click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) you can manually type in the ip address you want to use or can click the button that says obtain ip address automatically.

Open explorer then go to options, conections, set up, and run back through the set up being agreeable to what it says, be sure to auto detect proxy settings and don't set up e-mail (no need). See if this helps. Its simple but might just work.

Thanks for the help folks but I FINALLY figured it out. I uninstalled my NIC drivers, removed the card, re-installed it and and it started working again. Now I get to re-install all the software I thought might be causing the problem LOL.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back