Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pc-Cillin won't update on Thinkpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilasH

Technical User
Mar 18, 2004
US
Would appreciate any ideas on this problem: Trying to install Pc-Cillin 2005 on Thinkpad R51. Have been trying to solve this for three weeks with Trend Micro Support Staff. They clearly have no idea what I should do. They keep asking for information on the system and I keep sending it but to no avail. Some of their advice seems reasonable, other seems nutty. I've tried it all. Nothing works.

Situation: Purchased and downloaded software. Installed without a problem. Software will NOT update either automatically or manually. Attempts at manual update indicates software is "updating" but it is not, it just hangs there. Timed it for 45 minutes once. Have changed serial number (provided by Support); have added more RAM (my idea). Nothing works. The installed software is, of course, out of date and is supposed to be updated automatically after installation. Downloaded version provides no protection for new problems. Everyting looks correct but it will not update itself. Anybody got a clue? Getting desparate cuz gotta go out of town and need to take TP with me. Thanks!

Problem: If the automatic update function of PC-cillin Antivirus 11 is not working, users have the option to manually update the virus pattern file.

Solution: To manually update the pattern file for PC-cillin Antivirus 11:

Using Windows Explorer, go to the PC-cillin Antivirus 11 program directory in C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Antivirus.

Under the program directory, create a new folder and name it "Source".

Connect to the Internet.

Using a Web browser, go to the Trend Micro virus pattern files page.

Download the Zip archive containing the virus pattern file for Windows by clicking the appropriate link.

Note: The Zip archive containing the pattern file is lptxxx.zip, where xxx is the latest pattern file number.

Right-click on the Zip file and select Save Target As.

Download the Zip file to a temporary directory.

Extract the downloaded virus pattern Zip file (i.e., lptxxx.zip) into the \Source directory created earlier in Step 1.

For example:
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Antivirus\Source

Using Windows Explorer, go to the PC-cillin Antivirus program directory (e.g., C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Antivirus\) and look for the Tmupdito.exe file.

Double-click the Tmupdito.exe file.

The Update Notice window of the PC-cillin Antivirus module appears and displays information about the PC-cillin Antivirus modules versions.

Click the OK button.

Important: If the pattern file was not updated after performing the above instructions, restart your computer.

Thanks for both of your responses. I've already done both of these and neither works. With the "Source" file approach, which I have experience with, the result is that there is NO "Tmupdito.exe" file produced. I've explained all of this to Trend Micro. Plan C? Anybody?

Check the access permissions on all folders and files to do with TrendMicro and Pc-Cillin, including any not in the main Program Files folder.

Uninstall Pc-Cillin and try and remove all mention of it from the Registry and elsewhere on Computer. Search for it with a decent Registry Cleaner.

Reinstall and try again, or try another brand and see if you can redeem your purchase price from TrendMicro.

Other ideas to try -

Can it be manually updated while in Safe Mode?

How does TrendMicro's free online scan go on your machine?

Do you have any strange errors in the Event Viewer?

Thanks all for the suggestions. I had checked everything mentioned multiple times, including trying unsuccessfully to update in safe mode. Nothing worked. Have surrendered, installed McAfee and requested a refund for Pc-cillin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back