Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC-Chips motherboard upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbytech

Technical User
Jun 22, 2005
US
Hope someone can lend a hand with this problem. My system with a m810lrm PC-Chip motherboard and 1.2 ghz AMD Duron overheated when some of the cables inside the micro-case got in the way of the cpu fan. The system would not bootup unless I disable the caches, then it would take hours to boot. I decided to upgrade the cpu to a Duron 1.8ghz. After installing the new cpu and heatsink/fan I find that when I go into the BIOS it says that the Duron is only a 1340ghhz. When its starts to try and bootup the screen says its a Duron 1.8ghz. I researched the 810lrm before I purchase the new cpu, the board had rev 7.0 silkscreen into the bottom of the board but had a sticker next to it with a 3 on it. It also had sticker next to the CPU with XP printed on them. There are no push jumpers on the board. JA1 jumper is slodered in the pins 1 to 2 position (meaning other ) I can't tell the jumper setting for JA2 (might be on the backside). Now when I try to boot-up the floppy just keep running or the cd-rom will just keep running. My CMOS date and time seems to be alright. The system is just about totaly dead.

It's possible that the MB was also damaged when the old CPU overheated.

I think there are a few differance issues going on here:

Old CPU was 200fsb (front side bus)

New CPU is 266fsb so if you havn't ajusted the settings in the bios to 133/133 then it will report the lower clock speed as you say.

Second point! the Duron 1800 is a pretty NEW CPU compared to the PCchips 810LMR, it could well be that your motherboard requires a bios flash update to run/recognise this faster chip correctly.

Are you using a bigger more powerful cooler? and is it fitted correctly and with a small amount of heatsink paste applied.
Note* the recess in the base of the heatsink must be positioned so it is located over the raised "cam box" on the CPU socket, incorrect orientation will almost always result in a overheating CPU with often catastrphic failure.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

the bios reset on these pc chips boards are different from standard as well. Check the manual and do a bios reset.
However, as mentioned by paparazi you may have to set the fsb different with this new cpu.
And i wouldnt be surprised if you need a bios update as also mentioned by paparazi.
I had two of these mobos at one time, and i have a couple customers with that board. I really think of them as inexpensive little workhorses, but some people dont think as kindly of pc chips boards. Never mind what they say, these are good little boards.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

I'm back, I only get to work on my PC every so-often. I checked the CPU selector jumpers and found that JA1 have pins 1&2 shorted as in the manual(meaning other) but JA2 do not have pins 2&3 shorted as stated in the manual, they are all open(1,2,3) will this make a difference? In the BIOS the only two things that shows up for cpu model is Athlon 2200+ or Athlon 1350 ???. I made a mistake earlier my motherboard has Rev 7.1 (not rev 7.0) silkscreen with a sticker next to it with a 3 on it. Also I have an Arctic Cooling fan with selectable Fan Speeds on the Duron 1.8ghz. I also found out that if I happen to get to the A:// prompt(not often) I can not do a scan disk on the hard drive. One other thing, I might have some bad caps, the 6 caps near L16, L17, and L18 look like they have a very slight bulge on the top, not completely flat like the rest of the caps on the board.

Bad Caps! I'm afraid it's just not worth messing about with.
The 810LMR was the cheepest motherboard when it was new, in good condition it's only worth $15.
Time for an upgrade.
Martin

If you have bad caps, best to get another mobo as suggested.
You could replace those caps, its not that hard, but again, you have to consider that you can get a better board to fit the cpu you have for probably $15.
One place to go to get a decent used or even new board is one of the forums that have buy\sell sections, such as anandtech, tech-imo. There are a dozen or 2 more but i would start there. Ask people who have a lot of posts for help and you will get it, fast and free, just like here!

Toss-up between buying new motherboard or trying Have you heard anything good/bad about it? He says he will repair all bad caps and give the board a good shakedown.

Like I say, these were the cheapest of cheap motherboards when new, they didn't have a perticularly goog reputation for build quality , performance or reliability (faults included bios constantly resetting itself)
You might as well spend the repair money on a new "cheap" replacement like the Asrock K7VT4A PRO, thse are still being sold for as $40 (faster more reliable and better build quality than the one you have)
But if you want a direct replacement for yours that still has ingegrated graphics
Although personally I wouldn't recommend a PCchips or SIS chipset based motherboard.
If it has to have integrated graphics, be micro ATX (smaller) and be cheap then go for a Via KM400 chipset based motherboard, there are lots around still at under $50.
This will mean however a re-install of your OS etc

Martin

He does a good job so it just depends on the total price. The problem is that if he does a complete job you will be out $50 by the time you ship it there and pay for shipping it back to you.
For that price you can get a much superior motherboard.
And if he just repairs the ones that are bad you still have the shipping fees, still not worth it.
Best to put the money in a newer motherboard that will take your cpu, of which there are lots around.

They have that motherboard new, shipping included for $45.

I point this out as Tigerdirect has a reputation for padding their shipping fees and other discrepancies as well.

But at least you have a whole new motherboard.

garebo, I know you rate PCchips but these Via chipset boards are faster, better supported and more reliable.

And if your case will allow for a full length ATX board AND you have a seperate AGP graphics card available this is even better again:

Martin

paparazi, i agree with you 100%, I believe the via chipset boards are faster, etc.
Its just that hobbytech seems to want that motherboard, even to the point of getting new caps. Thats the only reason i was pointing to that mobo.
I do like them because you get a lot of features for a low price, but i know you know your stuff and i wouldnt argue against that, lol.
Plus, i know the via chipsets of that era were faster and such, so i dont disagree with you, just going with the poster and his preferences. I should have pointed that out.

I like seeing your posts where you not only point out which is a better part and why, but you back it up with your knowledge and experience, a good learning situation for all!
I just wish you wouldnt jump so hard sometimes is all, lol.
But lets not get into that.

Garebo and Paparazi;

you guys are great,and I really appreciate the information you shared with me. I thinking about getting an Biostar M7vig-pro or Msi KM2M so I don't have to scrap to much of my old system (memory). How do these motherboards rate?

Biostar has had a lot of stability problems in their newer boards, those marked v1.0, but to be fair, they have corrected the problems in their v1.1 boards.

Of the two boards you list, if they have the same feature set & the same price, I wouldn't hesitate to get the MSI board over the Biostar.

Ok, I see you are trying to keep things as cheaply as possible by retaining your older PC133 memory etc.
Yes the MSI board is the better quality out of these two.

Martin

If you buy a new motherboard be advised that PCCHIPS is a low low end trashy brand. That is why they are so cheap. They are basically junk. So it is hit and miss with a diagnosis for these low-end motherboards.

I would think the Nforce2 Chipset would be a nice bet for this but I would not sware to it. Try to avoid the older VIA Chipsets like A7V266A or whatever it is that VIA came out with before the Nforce chipset. The later Via chipsets are better in quality.

There is just not much available for this Processor anymore. So all that is left is really low end motherboards and some mid-level motherboards. Everything will be hit and miss. Might be better off selling what you have in favor of a Low-end Dell or maybe a Athlon 64 budget board and processor.

You can try PC Chips again for about $24.00 if you want. I didnt find much for sale of any higher quality. Everyone is buying Sempron for the Athlon 64 with a Socket 754 or the newer socket because socket 754 tops out at about the Athlon 64 3400 or so.

You might look at They sell a lot of low end gear. I would think there would be a lot of used Asus A7N8X motherboards that would be on the market. I still have one and it is still working fine.

The main problem is the higher quality motherboards sell out and then they are working on making the more modern motherboards. You might find something on Ebay. A used computer from someone putting together a new Athlon 64 computer might get you better results.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

ceh4702
I spent about 15minutes surfing and itemising particular mini ATX motherboards better than the ones hobbytech listed (I actually posted a couple earlier) until I realised that this user wants to retain his PC133 memory at the same time as requiring this small form factor.

So I wiped my post and started again.
Basically all the boards you listed use DDR memory, many are also full size ATX.

A KM266 via chipset would be a cheap alternative although I do agree very dated but the only choice available to use the old PC133 (check the particular board ordered for PC133 compatibility)
So unless this user is upgrading wholesale?
and at this point I would recommend a complete new base unit.

Via chipsets From the KT133A onwards (KT133A/KT266/KM266/KT266A/KT266B/KT333/KT400/KM400/KT400A/KM400A/KT600/KT880) have a pretty good reputation, often not the quickest but generally solid and well supported.
The Nvidia Nforce2 did out shine the Via KT266A/333/400/400A/600 but only on speed and features infact early NF2's and drivers were poor until "ultra 400" (true 400fsb support) and several drivers revisions turned this chipset into a must have.
Via chipsets remain a solid alternative to the Nforce4 although it seems they are still just off the pace in terms of performance.
Martin

Martin

Just updating . I got hold of a Gigabyte GA-7VKMLS from ebay. It will hold me over till I'm ready for a complete overhaul. i'm not into gaming so it will do fine. it didn't have a moden or a agp slot, but I have DSL. thanks for all the input and help. You guys are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back