Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pc chips motherboard ! any ideas . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilfast

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2002
A year long battle with pc-chips motherboard, and its not over yet! here's my story... is there a solution??

I've had a pcchips motherboard (SIS chipset) for a year, sis900 on-board network, and ide, shared memory graphics. My pc used to crash at least once a week on windows, but never on linux. Formed my belief that windows is crap. Recently, I connected my camcorder's audio-out to line-in of the onboard sound card, and windows crashed ! and since then my computer crashed every two minutes... Even on linux, stays no more than five minutes. So i got a new cheap motherboard £35, with onboard sound and usb only, VIA chipset. And my computer has been running windows for a month now, no crashes !

With SIS chipsets i noticed that whenever i held the mouse click on the scroll bar of ie, or notepad and drag up or down, it crashed instantly... and also the autocomplete dropdown box of internet explorer jumped open and each time it did, my windows crashed ! so when i had this pcchips mobo, i enabled inline autocomplete, and used only the wheel mouse for scrolling up and down.[pipe] even then, at least one crash a week...

Now my client has an internet cafe, and all pc's have pc-chips motherboards, but very interesting that
Autocomplete doesn't crash them pc's.
Draging the scroll bar, does often. Has anybody got a work-around? [ponder]

* by crash, i mean freeze, even Caps-lock light doesn't respond !

Running several machines with boards (not PC Chips) using different SIS chipsets, and none have ever exhibited the problems you describe. Sounds to me like a software problem. Did you try a fresh install of Windows, with a reload of latest chipset and device drivers?

Not a very useful post - but Sival, how can this be software related when the problem is there under both windows @ Linux?
Nick

---------------------------------------
save a life - visit:

You are absolutely correct, Nick, my apologies bilfast. I did miss the part about the problem occurring with both Windows and Linux. Will blame my lack of focus on the cold medication. Have no advice, since I have never had, been told of, nor read anything about this type of problem with SIS chipsets. Good luck.

I've done a fresh reinstall of windows, with drivers that came with the motherboard. The problem was still there. Windows update gives a later version of SIS graphics drivers, and even with that, the problem doesn't go away.
And yeah my pc-chips motherboard was giving me strange problems, like when i powered it up, the boot screen never appeared the hard-drives didn't power up, and i had to turn it off and on several times to get it working again. It finally died in a strange way, and that makes me think...
Are we supposed to power down the computer just to connect the line-out of an audio device to line-in of the sound card ?
come on, its 2003 !

Before I would retire the board I would look into any Bios updates there may be. Even if you have the latest I would reflash it just to make sure bios is uncorrupt. After that if problem still persist then it would just be a bad board and time to junk it.

I agree, BIOS updates along with driver updates are available at pcchips.com. Might also want to look through their FAQ's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back