Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pc can not detect floppy drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

chops2602

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
GB
I have set in the Bios for the pc to read A,C,CDROM in that order.so why is`nt the pc loading from the floppy drive it goes directly to C:/
any suggestions as to what is going on here..thanxs

Hi

Is the floppy drive being detected in the BIOS?

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

HI TSST.
a,c,cdrom,is set in the BIOS.the led is coming on but then goes to c:i did fdisk & format ok.not sure if it is being detected

forgot to mention,there is no operating system on the drive yet

chops2602:

Where did you get the startup disk from? Did you create it yourself? You may want to ,make sure that all of the necessary files are on the startup disk (the ones that are necessary to boot...config.sys, msdos.sys, io.sys,etc.). Also, it could be the floppy you're using. Try creating another startup disk with a brand new floppy and see if that doesn't make the difference.

yeah, i would first make sure it's a bootable FDD first.

if that doesn't work, does the FDD light comes on and stay on? if so, you have the FDD cable reversed. if not, try looking with a flashlight to make sure all the pins made it in the connector. and lastly, if that doesn't work, try changing the FDD cable. i had a similiar problem and turned out to be a bad connector on the FDD cable.

jhlee

Do you have seek on boot enabled? If so , the drive select light should come on twice about 2 seconds apart. If you get both lights and it still tries to get the bootstrap off C: you have either a bad drive or a bad boot disk, or one or the other is flakey.
You tell us that it did fdisk and format OK and that it goes to C:, then you tell us that there isn't an OS on yet.
Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. Not at least the way you described it.
With seek on boot disabled, your symptoms are bad drive, bad disk. But to recheck, floppy cable seated on both ends. A: is on the end position (or one of the end positions) on the end with the cut and twist. Since the light works that area of the cable with the twist is seated.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Why bother with the a drive anyway?
go to setup and have it boot from the cd rom
if you have a boot cd With the cd you can also have utilies that dont fit on floopies.. for more info check out bootdisk.com! hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back