Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pc booting only after unplugging for long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya8115

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
IN
P.C Booting after unplugging for long time. Problem started after tightening the loose processor. Sometimes I get shock from the body of the cabinet. Any solution will be greatly thanked.

Depending on your technical skills...you obviously have a short somewhere in the system...and there's usually not enough to feel it (computer mostly works with lo current).
Look for (with it off, obviously, and unplugged) bare wires.
Or take it to a pro and have them sort it out.

What clothes are you wearing? What kind of carpet? What kind of shoes? What weather conditions? All of these can affect static shock when there is nothing wrong with your computer.
Best to check for AC between the cabinet and an earth ground, like a copper cold water pipe, but be sure you are really dealing with an earthe ground.
You may also want to check to make sure that the cabinet ground carries into the power ground of the wiring of the building. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I had this before, I had to disconnect the Power Connector off the motherboard, or leave it standing a while before it would turn on, it usually just turned off for no reason too.

It was the PSU in my case, probably is in yours too.

hello,
I have, had, the same problem... whats happening here is that your power supply in your computer isnt getting the amount it needs from your socket. That is why you have to leave it unplugged for a while. This is a little expensive but what you need to do is look into backup power supplies... these will store the power you need while your computer is on/off so that you can get the constant flow that you need. You might want to go to a local computer store and see if they will be kind enough to let you test your computer's power supply for a voltage check. But im seeing that your power supply is good, its just the supply is bad =(

hope that helped,
jared5494

Jared,

That surely seems rather unlikey. I'd say 99.9999% his PSU is just faulty.

Before anything else, try to replace the power cable. Sometimes we think of too complicated things and we forgot simple things like cables, switches, wires( ATX connector)etc.
If the problem has not yet been solved, try replacing the Power Supply. You must also check the power outlet if it is giving the right amount of voltage. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back