Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC beeps at random times

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdonahoe

Programmer
Apr 18, 2002
US
I am getting an occasional POST beep or two well after a boot-up. Everything appears to be in working order, but, sometimes I hear 1 or 2 beeps. This does not happen frequently, only once in a while. Any ideas what this means?

The beeps I am talking about are not happening at boot-up. They occur sometimes hours after boot-up. So I'm not sure the POST codes will be of any help. Why is the PC beeping hours after boot-up?

Thanks for the suggestion, oldcomptrguy. I've had the same suspicion, and have installed some software (PC Alert) to monitor the motherboard temps to see if heat and beeps are related.

On the other hand, I don't get any error messages when the beeps go off -- as is supposed to happen if there is a detected malfunction during the boot process.

Make sure the programs you are running don't have a sound alert turned on. Outlook on my computer is set to beep when new mail shows up.

Another good suggestion, Franklin. The next time I get the beep(s), I'll check what's running and run down your idea to see if that's what's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back