Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Automatic Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

codo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2001
ID
My PC is suddenly reboot automaticaly, I had check all the hardware and my OS (using win98SE) there's nothing wrong.
I tried to leave the PC on and afte a few minutes it reboot again automaticaly. What is wrong with my PC?

Get a good antivirus such as AVG free edition from the Grisoft site, update it regularly and run a complete sweep.

I don't think it's because of Virus, because when i go to safe mode the computer is normal, beside that if i change the computer with higher CPU speed (before was PIII 800MHZ then i changed with PIII 1.2GHz CPU) the computer become normal.
I put the PIII 800 processor to other computer and there is no problem.

> I don't think it's because of Virus, because when i go to safe mode the computer is normal <

When you boot into safe mode most drivers, software, protocols are disabled, since save mode boots with limited services.

If it were me, I'd start with a webscan of the system
If that comes up with nothing it's time to start swapping hardware.

CPU Fan
CPU
Memory
Motherboard
Powersupply

Hopefully you have access to componets you can test with

Good Luck

IT's not sasser, he's running 98SE

Per Microsoft:

**Software Affected

Windows XP,
Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1)