Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC as softphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2004
NZ
Has anyone set up a pc/laptop as a softphone over a dsl link, connecting to IPO's network via internet to an IP number, no vpn, so cannot ping directly to the IPO, will need to be routed thru. Can it be done this way, I would assume that alot of features wouldnt work but can we get the voice going this way?

Let me start by stating I haven't tried it, but Avaya did put a technical tip, number 26, from their support web site and on the Toolkit / documentation CD. The tech tip deals with setting up IP endpoints over the public internet using static IP addresses. I would suspect that if you could configure a DMZ to pass all traffic from the public internet address to a specific NATed address through a router / firewall with the proper ports open it should work.

I have set this up but i A) have a vpn connection to work once the vpn connection is established i can ping the unit. B) VCM is needed in your unit to allow VOIP. Send me an email if you have any problem setting this up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back