Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC as LAN Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithJ

Technical User
Nov 19, 2001
GB

I have a Token Ring network of approx. 150 PC's and a small Ethernet network of 10 PC's. I would like to have a PC with a TR card and an Ethernet card in to act as a bridge/router for TCP/IP and/or NETBEUI between the two networks. Has anyone any suggestions as to how to set this up on the 'bridge' PC and on the PC's on the two networks.

Thanks

Keith

You answered your own question. One Ethernet NIC and one Token-Ring NIC in the same server or workstation is a router.

I can see the "router" PC from each network but I cannot see devices on the ethernet network from the TR and visa versa. It was this setup I was interested in. Is there any specific setup on the IP profiles for each adapter card in the "router" PC or on the clients.

Cisco 2513 with IBM protocols supported ios can route and bridge the trafic between two media.
A linux box should be able to do it too but I am not linux expert.
There are two ways to do it. Easy way or cheaper way?

To do what you are saying is called a multi homed server. You need to enable ip forwarding on the server under tcpip properties. Then you need to add the servers ip adress into the default gateway on the workstations. (this sends unkown traffic to the server) the server then automattically does the routing for you. The traffic gets to the destination computer and because it is from a machine with a non lan IP it sends it to the default gateway ( the server) which routes it back to the source computer.

Obviously to do this you need to have two DIFFERENT IP scopes on your network so the server can route properly (but you know that right!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back