Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Anywhere via Secure Remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

lengoo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
GH
Hi Guys
Hope everyone is well.
I have a problem which I wonder if anyone else has...
I have Secure Remote running at home to allow me access to the systems at work. I have installed PC ANywhere on my work machine so that I can control my desktop from home.
This I know works but recently I am finding that it's not working properly.. for instance the Ctrl-Alt-Del button which I need to logon doesn't always work. I'm finding this is happening more and more as we have more Secure Remote users.
Does Checkpoint firewall handle a set number of concurrent users at any one time or does anyone know whether performance is seriously affected when more than one user is using the Secure Remote software to access the systems
We have a 512Mbit dedicated link and we do have some users who are on ADSL speeds of the same magnitude.

My understanding is you may experience some degredation in performance as concurrent users increases. How about licensing? Could this be an issue?

We have a 50 user licence for the Firewall and I was using Secure Remote during out of office hours. Secure Remote I believe is free and uses the currently installed licences you have on your firewall.

SecuRemote is only free in so much that you dont need to pay for the encryption licence as it comes with your firewall license (but only if you specify it in your purchase request).

There is degredation as the number of users increases but this depends on the platform you are using. Which is?

How many users are concurrently connecting? The degradation occurs at the entry point for the encryption domain as decrypts and encrypts happen. I suggest you monitor the firewall for memory usage during peak and off peak periods.

Let us know your results. B-)
Brian, CCSE
brian@domain-integrity.com

Hi Brian
We are using teh Nokia IP330 box which runs Checkpoint 4.1
Usually I notice it slows down when there are around 4 concurrent users which doesn't seem like much. I suspect that this could be a bandwidth issue since most of our clients are running ADSL 512 Mbit and our company dedicated link is also running at this speed.. so maybe it's that!?
How would I monitor the memory usage of the firewall?

Look up vm stat and compare it with the output from "fw tab -t connections -s" which will show your active connections in the state table.

Gotta say that 4 users is hardly any for a 330. Probably not the problem!! B-)
Brian, CCSE
brian@domain-integrity.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back