Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Anywhere remote question - can I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackmac2

Technical User
Aug 11, 2006
GB
Hi all,

I have two users working from home. I want them to see each others machine. They use a wanadoo broadband connection which allocates a dynamic ip address. I want them to be able to see each other's machines if required. Can this be done?

I looked at PC Duo where the user connected to a 'gateway' on the business server at our offices when they started the software. That way they could connect using the gateway. The huge cost was the biggest turn-off.

Any ideas?

I've bought PC Anywhere and I'm looking into whether I can actually do it using that software. Seems to be designed for users with either a dial-up modem or a static IP address - neither of which my users have.

You can register your users with a website such as no-ip.com. Then in pcanywhere where you would put the IP address you put in no-ip.info and it goes right to the computer. They will have the no-ip exe running on the host terminal. We use this and have about 20 plus accounts setup this way. Less than 5 accounts or something like that is free.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Ditto for no-ip.com as Bospruell suggested. I installed this and PC Anywhere for several clients and it worked well.

Thanks everyone...will try the no-ip method and see how it goes

Do you need to buy that software? Can it not be done with TELNET, which is already integrated in Win2000?

mk:mad:MSITStore:C:\WINDOWS\Help\telnet.chm::/CHM=Telnet.chm%20META=a_telnet_overview

Is there an expert here who can explain the difference?

Telnet is strictly text based. A telnet server on Windows is limited to specific applications that are designed to operate in text mode (similar to pre-windows versions of DOS).

PC Anywhere is a graphical remote control program that must be purchased. With PC Anywhere, you can run most Windows programs on the "server" machine from a client machine just as if you were using the monitor and keyboard attached to the "server".

Windows XP comes with Remote Desktop, which is similar. Any recent version of Windows (W95 +) can run the client, but only XP comes with the server side.

An open source alternative is VNC. Both the server and client software are available for free download. There are several different versions, I prefer TightVNC -- see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back