Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC ANYWHERE Printing Reports from Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

misstoid

Instructor
Feb 14, 2007
Can someone PLEASE tell me how to dial into aloha from home and have reports print to my home computer? i have pc anywhere but am unsure what all the settings should be.

1 On the host computer, launch the pcAnywhere Manager.

2 Click Edit > Preferences (Tools > Options in pcAnywhere.

3 Click the Remote Printing tab. You need to scroll to the right to see this tab. A list of configured printers appears.

4 Click Add Printer. A list of printer manufacturers and models appears.

5 On the left, click the manufacturer of the printer that is installed on the remote computer.

6 On the right, click the model of the printer that is installed on the remote computer.
If your printer does not appear in the list, you will need to install the drivers first, then start the procedure over. You can either install the drivers that came with the printer (on disk), or download the newest drivers from the manufacturer's Web site.

7 Click Next. Windows will search for the cab file it needs. If Windows cannot find it, Windows will prompt for you to find the file.The needed file, drivers.cab, is on the operating system CD. Insert the CD and browse to the CD Drive.

8 Once Windows finds the file, click Open. The Drivers file and the printer drivers are installed.

9 Type a descriptive name for the printer, and then click Finish. The printer is installed, and appears in the Printers window, along with any other installed printers.

10 Now, when you want to print to the remote's printer from the host, print the document as you normally would from the application, but select the remote's printer from the list of installed printers.

I thought this would be worth noting even though this is an old post. I use a product called Logmein.com. It works very well with minimal configuration allowing you to connect to your server from any web browser and print to the default local printer of any machine you happen to be sitting at. I have tried it and it works great. There is a 30 day trial to get you started.

Rob

PCAnywhere is a PITA. Configuration ports in the router get blown away all, host gets shut off, its slow as a pig, etc.

Logmein is WAY better, and requires very little configuration. No router config, you do it through a web browser so you can do it from any computer, etc. And the printing over it is about 1000 times easier.

Actually, there free version does not have an expiration period. We use it for all our customers. About the only draw back I can think of is that for the free versoin, I don't think you can transfer files over it. Not a big deal tho.

We are currently using PC Anywhere because our reseller set it up that way. They are able to dial into our system at the store and fix minor problems. Can I still download this Logmein in addition to PC Anywhere? I work out of a remote office and PC Anywhere is not that great in my opinion. Thanks.

Has anybody considered using Remote Desktop that is built into Windows?

There is printer sharing and drive sharing built into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back