Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Anywhere issue....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petzl

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
AU
I am trying to setup my Father on PC Anywhere so that he does not drive me mad..... When he tries to run as host he is getting the message "unable to attach to specific device". He is connected to the internet via modem and running Win 98. Any ideas???

Cheers!

I'm not sure but I think you are trying to connect to your dad's pc via the internet. This is difficult as each time your dad connects to his ISP, he will receive a new IP address. In the initial stages it is best to setup his pc as a host, and await calls over the modem. That is you will dial his private phone. If you want to connect using the internet via dynamic IP which is your current scenario you will need to go to a site called This is an excellant and helpful site. The software does work!
I currently use it using dial-up or ADSL.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I would prefer to connect via Internet just for convenience. He can tell me the IP over the phone if he is connected and waiting and it saves me a long distance phone charge:) Still, if that is the only method then that is ok...

The modem goes into waiting mode no probs. The network connection still gives the "unable to attach to specific device" error though.

Cheers!

Have you checked the Network host item's properties to be sure that "TCP/IP" is the only device selected. If 2 devices are selected and one of them is not installed or not operating properly, PcAnywhere will produce the error you mentioned

Thanks for the reply!

I have checked and it is the only one checked....strange... and I re-installed as well!!

I am just about ready to give up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back