Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Anywhere equivilant 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CST

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2000
GB
I currently use PC Anywhere to save my legs when supporting user issues. Does anyone know of a similar software I can use that enables you to tandem to a user but without them knowing. The user knows when you are in with PC Anywhere as it blacks out the screen.

Thanks

I believe you could use Remote Control but what you are proposing could land you in a spot of trouble, particularly if you are working in the U.S.A.. You could face a lawsuit and possibly civil action unless the employee is aware that he "could" be monitored and agrees to possible intrusions as a condition for employment or use of company equipment.

It all depends on the local laws. Check them before you start looking around for a software solution.

BTW, what was the name of your company again? The information could help me filter my list of prospective employers.
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

I use VNC from ORL.

Uses java so it runs quickly and the user does not have to know with the latest version. And it is free...

I also Use VNC (over SSH) due to the fact that it is fast and free :)

You could use RADMIN ( It costs $35/copy, but a site license is availiable for $700.00 it is similar, but a little faster then VNC, leaves no system-tray icon when installed and can be set to use NT authorization (users and/or groups) rather than a password.

You can run pcanywhere without the user knowing it. It is a registry hack to remove the icon from the system tray. I forget which hive it is in though. It is documented in their install/configuration manual.
I have started playing with a product from Dameware called ntutilities recently also. It lets you do the same thing as pcanywhere but includes server tools like usermgr, server mgr etc... It also lets you run it invivibly.

I agree with alt255 that you need to be careful. I always tell the user that we use this type of software so we can remote in thru citrix.

If its not illegal it still may be unethical.

tgoodman

You can run the new VNC 3.3.3 r9 as a service with no system tray icon.

You can also use Timbuktu Pro which is very quick, but not free. This is also fully cross platform and hooks into Netmeeting if you want (I have yet to test it).

Contrary to popular belief, it is perfectly "legal" to monitor Company Computers.
After all, they are Company property and the Company may do as they choose
with them (alt255). The confusion arises from the term "Personal Computer",
which leads users to think is theirs. Adding to this are the Widows terms "My Computer" and "My Documents". If it is really your "personal" computer you
brought in from home, that's a different issue

McAfee Remote Desktop32 or Tivoli Remote Control work well. They don't have the annoying habit of blanking out users screens, either.

There are some educational packages that allow you to "mirror" a session. This is used by teachers to watch over students screens during a class. The teacher can then take control of the screen. I don't know the names of any of these packages but there was a few on display at Fall Comdex this year.

We use Proxy from Funk Software...
with mass licensing, it was cheap! bascally $10 per client and $100 per master (only mis has this) here is the link
We love it! we moved to Zen for nal support, which is much (consideralbly) slower... Everyone wants to go back. check it out (they just stopped supporting dos)

You could use Laplink. You connect over IP, the desktop is not blacked out, you take over the machine.

Use vnc as you can roll it out using the users login scripts
(saves walking round every work station) but you have to spend time writing your own batch file and exporting registry keys, for default password etc.

Although I think it is unethical to not let a user know you are looking, i have an icon for vnc that is just the windows default grey in the system tray and doesnt change colour when you are logged in, if you would like this icon
mail me at andymcqueen@mailcity.com

RemotelyAnywhere is what we use here. Runs from a browser and it is fast.

I do use VNC 'cause it's easy to use and distribute,
but my IT Director asked my about security and I've found out that VNC works better with UNIX platform than NT.
It is because you can use the SecureSHell option.
Can anyone tell me if there is another way to encrypt data from client to server of VNC (I have only "Wintel" machines)

Specrem Client & Server is also free and runs undetectable. I have not tested yet though.

I use PCAnywhere 10.0 in our organization and have found that the user does NOT have to see just a blacked out screen and that you can sufficiently hide it from the user.

We use Win2k Pro on our desktops and have the users at Power User level(would rather them be at User level, but politics prevails).

Some things to watch out for:

1. Have the host load automatically when windows starts
2. Load the Host as a Service
3. Test the video driver(this is what will cause the black out)
4. Add the key "ServiceStealthMode"(DWORD) 1 = Hide from tray, 0 = do not Hide to the registry. It is under HKEY_Local_Machine - software - PcAnywhere - Host (this is from memory so don't quote me on it).
5. Add multiple callers. One primary and one backup in case you cannot get in through the primary.
6. Remove all icons/references to PCAnywhere from the users desktop.

I am sure there are things missing, but with these to start you can monitor and control users PCs with or without the users knowing.

We make it public that we have remote access to every machine to avoid any potential legal issues, but to each there own.

- Roger

Citrix Metaframe... More secure and there is URoam... Web Based Product...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back