Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Anywhere connection to dialup

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOnoy

MIS
Feb 20, 2002
US
Current situation:
I have a Static IP behind a NAT'd firewall.
MY brother is in another town using dialup.
PC Anywhere on both sides.

Want to do:
I would like to connect to his Computer from my static IP address to his dialup account. I can set up PC Anywhere on his end so that only my IP address is accepted and password protected.
How would I be able to obtain his IP address especially if he is not on his PC? Can I use some kind of IM program as in "AOL Instant messenger" , or "ICQ", or "Yahoo Messenger" , or any other product?

I basically need his IP address at any time to control his PC for upgrades and configuration changes.

Thanks in advance ,
- NOnoy

I dont believe you can do anything without his IP address and his pcAnywhere set to Host. But if he connects to his dial up account he can go to and it will tell him what his current address is that way you can set it on your side.

Let me know if this works for you.
Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

Chances are your brother's dialup is a dynamic ip address assignment. This means he always gets a different IP address from the ISP's pool. Without knowing what the IP address will be you're out of luck. The only folks who would probably know is his ISP assuming they can locate and access the RAS or RADIUS server that your bro logged in with. I doubt they would tell you anyway.

Your bro will have to see what IP address he got assigned then you can pcAnywhere from there. Further It seems unlikely that you will be able to do anything without someone on your brother's side there to dial-in and monitor, etc as analog dialup is susceptible to calls dropping. So if your bro dials up it is not realistic for him to walk away and expect that the connection will stay up indefinitely. Invariably the call will drop either due to line issues or the ISP may have a time limit on each call. This would require a redial (which can be done automatically) but he will likely get a different address the next time he dials in.

It's a nice idea tho. Perhaps you can talk him into getting a static IP address from his ISP. It should be possible.

I aggree with GTI4Life that your brother will need to be there to launch the connection. There is a severice from TZO.com that will install a app on your brothers WS that will update his IP. I use this at a location to update a dynamic IP on a DSL connection. When your brother sets up he will give it a friendly name like "mybrother.tzo.com" you will then put this name (instead of the IP) in the IP address field of pcAny. Then no mater what his IP is TZO will have updated it. Again you will not be able to just dailin to his PC since it is a dailup. If it is a certain time of day that you want to dailin. You could setup a macro (I got one from tucows.com) to dailup his ISP at a certain time of day.

how can we control pc through ip address. which informations we can get through ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back