Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Anywhere Connection thru Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdc80

Technical User
May 28, 2002
US
Hello! I got a question on setup for PC Anywhere. The host PC is Win2k Server with PC Anywhere 10. and a T1 connection.
The remote access unit is Win XP Pro. with PC Anywhere 11. and a DSL connection. I'm not sure what IP address to use the server's or the router or What. The server is at a school district and the internet connection is provided by the reg. center. At the reg. center they most of the ports locked down but the ports use by PC Anywhere should be available. Thanks for any help.

Really need some more info for this. It sounds like your site is using private addresses behind a firewall. If that is the case, and you want to access this server from a location from outside of the network, say from home, then you would use the public IP address and have the firewall forward the request to the private IP of the server. Like I said, hard to give a diffinitive answer without knowing exactly how your network is laid out.
Hope that helps.

Jason

Hi,

If you have real ip in your server then you must use it.

[]'s
Anderson

PCAnywhere, VNC, and similar work by replacing msgina.dll with a custom gina. I think it's awhost.dll for pcanywhere and newgina.dll for VNC. Basically, it's a console login. To work through the firewall, you'd havc to figure out what port and redirect at the firewall.

A better solution is Terminal services in remote admin mode. You can put the tswebclient up on a server servicing ssl. You can configure TS to go over any port you want, the default is 3389. You get a TS session, you don't get the console. In 2003, there are extra security lockdowns for TS. In 2003 you can also force a console session. To force a console session on port 666 from the the RDP client you would enter:

hostname:666 -console

I had the same problem on my network. Bottom line is that 11 and 10 are not compatible. There is a file on Syamntec's website that you need to download on the host machine running version 10. The Symantec document number is 200309170943312. Follow the instructions and it will work. It worked for me just a couple days ago.

I use GotoMyPC for remote access of machines behind a firewall/router, works great. You don't need to know the IP address of either system.

Check them out at
The cool thing about GotoMyPC is that you can access your computer from any computer on the Internet, not just a particular one with special software, such as PCAnywhere on it.

Works for me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back