Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Anywhere and VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiffmo

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
US
I cannot connect to the host using PCAW 10.5 over a VPN. I can ping and browse the host computer fine with Windows, but PCAW will not connect.

The Symantec website writes in Document ID 199732093939:
---------------
VALID ADDRESSES
The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) has set aside three blocks of addresses for private Internet spaces as documented in RFC 1597. These addresses are not unique on the Internet; they are used with the assumption that they will be internal to a private network. Therefore, they are filtered by Internet Routers. These addresses are as follows:

10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 through 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 through 192.168.255.255

If you try to connect to a pcAnywhere host over the Internet using an address within one of these blocks, the TCP/IP packets will be filtered before they reach their destination and pcAnywhere will time out looking for a connection.
------------

However, this makes little sense, since when connecting via TCP/IP through a VPN, the IP addresses of both computers are 192.168.x.x. They HAVE to be. Symantec claims that it is possible to use PCAW 10.5 through a VPN tunnel:

------------
Yes, pcAnywhere can connect over VPN or PPTP on Windows 9x/Me, Windows NT, or Windows 2000. Since both VPN and PPTP are TCP/IP connections, pcAnywhere should be configured to use TCP/IP on both the remote and host computers.
(Document ID 1999060112535812).
------------

So how do I do it?

Yes, it is possible to perform the link you are trying to establish. I use it regularly for my remote users. Ignore the IP thing. You are correct, private IP's work. The Symantec article is referring to non-VPN Internet access. So, as to your problem, there are a couple things I've run into in my experience with this type of setup: The first and simplest and most perplexing and stupidest thing is that pcAnywhere defaults to "0 connection attempts" when you setup a remote.If you go to the "Settings" tab on the remote session you have configured, at the bottom will be a "connection Options" section with a setting for "Number of connection attempts", which I will bet is set to zero. I ususally set it to 3, and then you're up and running.
There are also issues with video adaptor compatibilities, but that usually manifests itself in a made connection which sits at a black screen.
Of course, you want to be sure you have the proper IP address entered in both the Remote and Host setups, and that your authentication info is consistent on both ends. But I'll bet my bnottom dollard it's the connection attempt thing. It bedeviled me for several days on one setup.
Good Luck!

Unbelievable! Symantec needs to get a clue on this one. (Or maybe I do?) Thanks for the help. There were dozens of other issues, too, and it took weeks to get the VPN working, but it's all good now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back