Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC access to switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

StumblingForward

Technical User
Jan 7, 2005
US
The PC I use in my office is starting to give the last gasps of life, so IT is getting me a new PC sometime soon, this PC will be an HP with XP Pro installed, the console I use to monitor and make changes to my switch is an AT&T 715 MT that is connected directly to my Definity G3siV9, I would like to do away with the console and just use my PC to make all the changes and the like, but cost will be an issue.
So I am asking how I might go about this in the most cost effective way?

ASA would be the best option in my opinion. It would give you more than the terminal in the way of reports, exports, imports, be able to schedule changes and also be able to use it for other systems like your voicemail too.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
(Plato)

Hi,

Don't forget, you will need a C-Lan board to allow you to connect to the switch through a network connection.

If you don't have a network connectivity, you can still use ASA to connect to the switch through the tracker/modem.

Thanks Ash

we use PROCOMM Plus......you can connect your laptop to the same serial connection that the terminal is connected to and change the terminal type to ATT4410. This allows you to do the same things that you would do with the terminal but you use the F keys to navigate around instead of the normal terminal keys you are used to. This will also allow you to not need a CLAN card to connect into the switch.

Brian

To error is human.....if the machine doesnt work, then KICK IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back